Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Your first multiplayer experience (online and offline)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mantis, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mantis

Mantis
    Expand Collapse

What are your earliest memories of playing with other people, offline and on the internet? I'm finding it difficult to remember which game specifically was my first to play with others. The first console I seriously played was the Mega Drive (perhaps Genesis to you), but I usually played single player games on it.

I do remember playing Sonic 2's limited multiplayer, and its single player which allowed the second player to control Tails. (Which usually resulted in being left behind since the camera followed Sonic.) Then there was Streets of Rage, and soon after Streets of Rage 2. I remember enjoying playing cooperatively with my dad, and there was also the versus mode. Although I play with Axel now, I used to play as Skate and nearly always won. Some of my best memories come from having a SNES and playing Super Mario Kart with friends.

As for playing online, unfortunately, whilst I eventually got an Xbox my parents didn't allow me to get Xbox Live during my teenage years. As a teenager I was a Halo fanatic, and eventually, with a crappy 32MB GeForce 2 graphics card, I got Halo's PC port and played that online. I got pretty involved in the Halo scene and spent endless hours playing it, and custom maps when Custom Edition was released. Eventually I even played Halo 1 and 2 for Xbox online, using software like Xbox Connect and XLink Kai which exploited the games' system link functions, and allowed me to play them without Xbox Live. Soon after I didn't play many games online for quite a while. Fast-forward to late 2008 when I got a 360, which I've been playing since.

What do you remember? Perhaps if your childhood memories aren't as foggy as mine, you'll have clearer ideas.

2. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Probably Duck Hunt or one of the Mario games on the NES as far as offline if memory serves me right.

Online, I think either Star Wars Battlefront 2 or Halo 2 on the console. PC, I'm pretty sure it was Runescape (definitely my first MMO).

3. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

Online, that'd actually have to be Halo 3. Offline, I wouldn't know. If I had to take a guess, it'd be some early SEGA game. Or an old Atari game even. So hard to remember.

4. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

First multiplayer experience ever to be honest when i played "Asheron's call" in the PC. One of the best MMO's ever.

But i got seriously addicted to Multiplayer because of Counter-Strike. The WON version. So it's kinda like 12/13 years ago..

5. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Offline, Halo 1 lan parties. Online, Tribes Vengeance on dialup aw dae.

6. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Lol i got some history also with Tribes Vengeance. Too bad it got overshadowed by Unreal Tournament 2k4.

7. cwhitrun23

cwhitrun23
    Expand Collapse

offline was Jordan vs Bird One on One...online would have to be the first Halo

8. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Offline I think it was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Online I can't remember. I did play Ultima Online as a preview on my mates account (he let me create a char.) so I guess that would be it, not sure though. That was 1998.

9. MountainDrew

MountainDrew
    Expand Collapse

Offline, I think was the original Mortal Kombat. Online, I think would be Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam for the DS. I think I played Runescape, too. Not sure which was ultimately first, though. All three were quite fun to play, especially with friends.

10. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Oh man.... first MP game. I keep thinking there were some MP games on the Atari 2600, but maybe not?..... And I guess this doesn't include turn-switching games like Super Mario or DK?

Other then arcade or fighter games, first game I specifically remember playing *because* it was MP was Goldeneye or Diablo 2.

11. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Offline would be Snake and Rattle 'N Roll on the NES; I'd play that again anytime :3 Never beat it, though. Contra was also one of the first.

First online would be Audition back when it belonged to Nexon; it was better back then T__T Followed by Combat Arms shortly; and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare a few years later.

12. Derek Miller

Derek Miller
    Expand Collapse

My first offline multiplayer was Contra! I always got to be the red guy :D .. My first online mutliplayer was Halo 3 on my Xbox live.. Ah the memories!