Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ZackKoutaRoxas, Aug 14, 2015.

1. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

So, I went with the free upgrade. And after using it for a few days here are my initial thoughts:

Windows 10: 0% Privacy The OS!

Seriously though Microsoft, are you giving out free upgrades because we're paying with all of our "private" information?

That being said, the simple changes in aesthetics are welcome, being able to pin 4 windows in quarters is a nice addition, multiple desktops = FINALLY, and something fresh is always a nice change.
    On the other hand, a lot of settings are unnecessarily extensive to get to and change now, forced updates = :mad:, and for the love of whatever it is that they love I DON'T want to give you all of my information for all the features that I don't even want to use!

Also, no noticeable gaming performance difference.

2. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Good to hear that the UI was truly improved as I felt like 8 was actually a step backward in that regard.

I definitely won't be upgrading on my main rig but may try it out on another computer I have that has 8.1 at the moment.

3. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

It seems that the general consensus is: If you have Windows 8, 8.1, or an Xbox One, then get Windows 10. Also if you don't mind no privacy and want to use Cortana and all the Internet-Of-Things features.

Otherwise, it looks like a lot of folk are sticking to Windows 7 still.

4. ultraviolet

ultraviolet
    Expand Collapse

if look at some of the terms and conditions and what the new features do it does seem a little crazy how much info microsoft is asking for. plus you can't turn off auto-update, or even tell it when you want to update so there is a possibility the OS could change adding new features which you might not want and you can't do anything about it. i have a android tablet and this sort of thing is kind of expected on that format but not on a personal computer
    i tried it twice, once when it was first released: hated it, went back to version 7, then, tried it again as i thought i was being a little unfair on it, but, changed it back again .

for the time being i'd rather stick with linux as my main OS on my desktop and windows 7 on my mini gaming rig

5. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

This was one of the threads that lost some posts due to the issue I mentioned in the notice...but anyway, to repeat what I had said before, it'll be interesting to see what 3rd party alternatives to Cortana start coming out now that this sort of thing is getting more attention on the desktop platform.

6. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

Im actually pretty curious to see how Cortana works.

7. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Waiting on a few months for them to iron out any kinks, and also to fully see it's features instead of being forced rolled into it. Not in any hurry to upgrade from 7 tbh.

8. Mrcooldude10

Mrcooldude10
    Expand Collapse

As someone who just recently upgraded I gotta say that I love the UI as a whole, which as others said truly feels like a step up from previous versions.

Also does anyone else use the "reading view" button? I thought it would be a one-trick-pony type thing but I've found that I use it whenever I read a news article without even thinking.

9. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

What does it do?

10. Mrcooldude10

Mrcooldude10
    Expand Collapse

If you're reading an article on say IGN and click the reading view button it takes only the articles words, images, links, and videos, puts it all on a plain white background and voilĂ , totally uninterrupted reading.