Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Which game server?

Discussion in 'Archives' started by GaMeR, Feb 18, 2012.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Lately I've been contemplating the idea of getting a game server again, in the past we've had one for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, AssaultCube, and Killing Floor for those of you who weren't around back then.

Anyway, I'm open to ideas as to which game it should be for although ideally the game, if not free, should not cost more than $19.99 to make it affordable for anyone who wants to participate to acquire it.

Right now I'm thinking either Team Fortress 2 or Teeworlds (similar to Worms/Soldat and free).

2. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Teeworlds sounds like a pretty cool game, and since I havnt played tf2 in a year Teeworlds gets my vote.

3. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

I know for TF2 myself and Skizz probably wouldn't be too well off with the connection speeds and whatnot. Teeworlds might work out, I'll have to check it out. I wouldn't mind a Killing Floor server, but again same problem as with TF2 (don't really want to get lag killed by a flesh pound lol).

Hmm. I'll have a think on what other possible things.

4. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I don't think lag will be that much of an issue as when we ran the Wolfenstein/Killing Floor servers we had Europeans connect without any serious latency issues. I know SP used to play on the KF server occasionally and I don't recall hearing any serious complaints about lag from him.

Also, as for other suggestions, I just remembered about WarSow and OpenArena.

5. Doom_Guy122790

Doom_Guy122790
    Expand Collapse

If you guys get a Killing Floor server, I would be more likely to play on that server than the other two games. I think I own Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory on steam and I know I don`t own AssaultCube.

6. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Well right now both the Wolfenstein and AssaultCube servers are retired and it is highly unlikely that I'll bring those back so right now it's a matter of Teeworlds, TF2, or Killing Floor unless someone has any other suggestions.

7. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

A couple of other games that could be considered are Nuclear Dawn and Lead and Gold.

8. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Teeworlds and OpenArena.

9. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Soldat could be cool, if things havnt changed its still free but you can pay for some more non balance affecting features.

10. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Meh, would like a reason to come back to Killing Floor. Have TF2... but even going free doesn't make me wanna play it. If anything I wouldn't mind a BF3 server but that's out of the question here with the price range plus maps etc. Honestly can't suggest much really other than KF.... do need a reason to go back to that. Loved it back as a mod too.

11. Shatpanski

Shatpanski
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

I would honestly be cool with any of them. I'd say if I had to order it, it would probably be:

Killing Floor (because I just got it and haven't really played it)
    Teeworlds
    TF2

12. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

I'd be down for some Killing Floor. I reckon if we get that I'd probably reset all my levels so I can have a fresh start and motivation to play again. Been wanting to play more of it, just haven't gotten around to it.

13. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Looks like KF is in the lead.

I may get two servers to see how it goes though as the KF server could be our cooperative play option and for competitive stuff, use either Teeworlds or TF2.

14. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

How about a Tribes NEXT server?

15. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

As much as I would like that, I think it would be better to wait until Tribes ascend has custom servers, Tribes 2/Next has a lot of problems what with the retarded coding and the game duking its pants at the drop of a hat.

16. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

That's IF Ascend plans on getting custom servers.

Admittedly though, the new layout they're using now actually would suit a server based system much more than their old layout. So maybe they are planning on integrating it. Mind you, I haven't read much into it, so they might be getting them and I'm just oblivious lol.

17. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Some other ones that are F2P that I forgot to mention are: Battlefield Play4Free and Heroes.

18. Shatpanski

Shatpanski
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

That could be rockin.' Didn't know that existed until you mentioned it. Also reminded me that the Tribes Ascend beta is open now.

19. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

There is a custom servers option on the play now menu, it just hasnt been activated yet.

20. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

After further thought, I think I'm definitely going to go with the idea of having two servers to test the waters and as of right now, have decided on one of them (Teeworlds) and will wait for more feedback before ordering the second one.

I'll make a new thread announcing the server details when I'm done ordering the first server.