Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

USB storage for the 360!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by GaMeR, Mar 26, 2010.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

If you're like me and only have a 20GB HDD on your 360 you'll be glad to know that starting April 6, 2010 you'll be able to use your flash drive(s) as a storage device for your Xbox 360!

I'm quite excited as I no longer have to worry about having to purchase an expensive HDD since mine is getting close to reaching maximum capacity. Unfortunately, you won't be able to utilize more than 32GB with this new feature but that should be enough room for most people.

For more info and screenshots, visit MajorNelson's blog.

2. bdavid81

bdavid81
    Expand Collapse

This is a cool feature if the time ever comes again where I get a new console and want to move all XBLA/XBLIG games and save files onto a new HDD, but otherwise it's a useless feature for me.

3. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Yeah if you have enough storage already it's probably not as appealing but even then, I'm pretty sure you can put your profile on there as well which means you wouldn't have to lunge around your HDD to a friend's house if you wanted to play on their console using your own info.

4. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

Damn... Only 32GB.. I so would've connected my 250GB external HDD if I could've lol. Mind you, dont really need 250GB lol

5. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

That's pretty kewl!

... *after thinking* wasn't there something like that for PC's? You can use a flash drive as RAM or something?

6. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Yeah ReadyBoost for Vista & Windows 7, however, that's a different concept...For the 360, it will only serve as a storage device, not increase the console's memory.

7. Shatpanski

Shatpanski
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

This is really good. I have a Halo 3 Xbox with the orange chrome hard drive, and replacing it with a different color would not only be annoying but also it would look stupid. It's ironic because I don't care for Halo (read: controversial statement to make during a CoolGuy election cycle!). In any case, do we know if we can store full On Demand games on the flash storage or install games from the disc like you can onto the hard drive? Now how much is an orange chrome 32 GB USB flash drive gonna cost me...

8. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I really need this patch so I can transfer all my old stuff over to my new HD and sell the old box.

9. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

*cough* PS3 Slim 250GB Hard Drive *cough*

Just passing by...

10. bdavid81

bdavid81
    Expand Collapse

Haha, I run a 500GB Fatty, absolutely love it.

Anyway, if I had local gamer friends, I could see this feature being more helpful... but I don't have local gamer friends. Everyone I know grew out of gaming, I'm in it for life.

11. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

No thanks.

What Bdavid said as well, being able to have my gamer tag on my usb for a lan so I still get my seriously 2.0 kills would be good.

12. koga88

koga88
    Expand Collapse

Honestly though I wonder if somewhere down the line, they will make you use Microsoft certified flash drives only and not allow you to use normal flash drives, unless you purchased it directly from them, like they did with other branded memory cards.

13. AEJustin1

AEJustin1
    Expand Collapse

can't wait for the update to use USB drives, the microsoft ones are WAAAAAAAAY overpriced though

14. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I hope they don't decide to restrict them later on but I'm sure someone will find a workaround if that's the case...Regardless, that would be a rather poor move on Microsoft's part as the PS3 is winning the storage war IMO and with this new option, it will help balance things out a bit plus make the Arcade version of the console much more attractive.

15. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Restricting them seems like a silly thing to do to me, there are so many brands of usb memory sticks, pretty much every store has their own brand as well restricting them would make a bunch of rage imo.

16. GreenFire999

GreenFire999
    Expand Collapse

Wait... Any flash drive, i dont think a 3 GB flash drive would give me 32 GB... Other than that I CANT WAIT~!~!~

17. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Its up to 32gb, two 16gb dricves can be supported.

18. fresh02_88

fresh02_88
    Expand Collapse

This feature may come in handy if I ever need room for my xbox, but that may be awhile since I have a 120 gig and still have 76 gigs left.

19. Playing Mantis

Playing Mantis
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully the Datel Max Memory will also be opened up to 16GB limit once this update comes out, although they may still be blocking the memory card ports based on the officially available 512MB cards.

Even if you can play install game discs or Games on demand on USB, there is a much slower transfer rate than through the HDD, so expect longer loading times.

20. The Dr0w Ranger

The Dr0w Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    I'm BACK
    Veteran

2 things, one, this is excellent for things like Gamertag transfers, or security, being able to let others on your box without leaving your tag there.

Also, am I the only one who saw "2 card simultaneously" and thought" so I can swap them out?"
    Meaning I could load DLC for example, onto cards, and when I don't need them, store the cards and use another.
    Swapping several cards with different data could be nice.