Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

The Language Game Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by GaMeR, Aug 24, 2015.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

The Language Game
    Platform: PC (reviewed), iOS, Android
    Developer/Publisher: Tap to Win
    Price: $4.99
    [​IMG]

It’s all in the name

Learning a new language can be a very rewarding experience but it comes with many challenges. There are many free resources out there such as Duolingo, which gamify the process to make it more enjoyable. This game takes a similar approach except it offers something that other resources lack, a multiplayer element. At a quick glance, it’s easy to scoff this as nothing impressive as the primary gameplay is very rudimentary; you’re basically just doing the standard translation spiel or associating a vocabulary word with a picture. This has been done time and time again. Where the game shines is that the multiplayer is not only competitive but also innovative in the sense that your opponent can practice a different language than you. This means that one player can practice French while the other practices Spanish.

A dilemma I’ve encountered in the past when playing such games is that my friends were not interested in the language I was learning and hence, it was unappealing for them to get involved. The Language Game helps eliminate this problem by presenting material to your opponent in the language they’re interested in. At the moment, the game supports English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish. Only local multiplayer is supported, but there is a workaround to this. I played it against a friend via Skype with good results using screen-sharing although I had to do the clicking for them but if we would have used an adequate application, I’m sure it would have worked out smoother.

[​IMG]

Looks like Lucy’s off to a good start!

Money talks
    [​IMG]

Conquer more than just a language.

Although the core gameplay is simple, the competitive aspect is far more exciting as you have to form a path by successfully answering questions, and this involves being strategic as you can block your opponent’s path in the process. This is what saves the game from being a knock-off of other resources as although the educational content can be found on Duolingo, this gameplay element is unique to the game. However, if you’re more of a solo learner, this game won’t be as appealing as the single player is rather stale. Free resources will offer a better experience with the caveat that you’ll have to be online.

Having said that, if you’re in the beginning stages of learning one of the supported foreign languages and have at least one comrade with similar interests, it can be a short but fun experience. Otherwise, I would advise solo learners to spend their money elsewhere as the multiplayer is what justifies the price tag.

Pros:

+Innovative multiplayer
    +Straightforward gameplay makes it easy for anyone to play

Cons:

-The way the content is portrayed is the standard stuff found elsewhere
    -Without an opponent, it’s not very fun
    -Content is more appropriate for beginners, it’s too easy for advanced learners

The Language Game earns a “think about it” purchase recommendation for those who have someone to share the multiplayer experience with.

Disclosure: A review copy was used to evaluate this game.

Bladex2 likes this.
  2. Bladex2

Bladex2
    Expand Collapse

Nice review! Have the game on Steam, but I wasn't certain whether or not it was any good. Doesn't really sound like something I'd use over free sites like Duolingo or paid programs like Rosetta Stone. You'd think gamifying learning would make us want to learn more, lol.

3. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Yeah it's not a suitable replacement for Duolingo and similar platforms, it's more for brushing up on the basics with a friend who's interested in one of the supported languages.

Bladex2 likes this.