Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Review

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by DeathNoteL, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DeathNoteL

DeathNoteL
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC.
    Developer: Bethesda Softworks

I first heard of the Elder Scrolls series, when a friend of mine wouldn't shut the fuck up about it, and insisted that i played it, so i went ahead and got "Morrowind" for the PC, my experience with "Morrowind" was for some parts good, but for most parts it was quite a drag. So The next "Elder Scrolls" game is out, and I thought I'd give it a go, since ya know, Sequel's are supposed to improve a game and all.

For those not familiar with "The Elder Scrolls" games, then let me tell you what they are about, "The Elder Scrolls" is a realistic first person RPG game(No, not a J-Rpg) where You make the lead character, you can pick a number of different classes from Wood Elf to a human Warrior, you then go off doing whatever you want in a vast world of mythical fantasy storys.

Sounds quite good...or is it?

Main Story:
    Oblivion starts out with a dazzling cinematic, showing the graphical power of the game. Just like in every Elder Scrolls game, you are a know name character in jail, and not even close to becoming the strong warrior you hope to be. You manage to escape, with the help of the Emperor. However, what you'll soon find out is that there is these Oblivion gates being unleashed upon the world, which seem to leaked out monsters every given chance. The story, is really boring, I mean really boring, oh and yeah, and the story has some plot about some Emperor who dies and has one heir left and some other boring crap. You'll find more interesting story's in the vast world of Oblivion.

Gameplay:

Once you start the game you've given a chance to customize the look of your character, stuff like how long your character's face is, how skinny or fat certain parts of your character etc. But to be honest, non of these seem necessary and feel bland.

The combat is pretty much hack n slash, if your using a sword type weapon, with from what i played no real tactic to fighting, most enemies can be picked off from the distance using Bows and magic,also magic seems to be overpowered and once you realize this, any threat from a higher level monster completely disappears, but that being said, it's more solid than previous "Elder Scrolls" games which is a good thing.

Once you've gotten access to the vast world of Oblivion, your gameplay is nearly endless, you can go kill a whole town of people if you wish, go exploring underwater in lakes and rivers, go looting dungeons or go and do one of the hundreds of side quests, to put it simply, to experience everything in Oblivion you are gonna need a spare 100 hours or so.

Leveling up in Oblivion seems to take ages, I played for about 6 to7 hours or so when i first got the game, and i was only at level 3, I guess it's to make the game longer, but you'll always feel like a puny character compared to some of the NPC's running around, until your about level 30.
    Apart from your character himself leveling up, you also have skills which level up too, depending on what class you pick at the start of the game depends on which skills you are stronger at, but non of that really matters, due to having enough determination anyone can be strong in each class with due time.

The best skill in the game is the lock picking as it does require some sort of skill, once you've found the locked door or chest you wish to pick, a lock picking mini game pops up and you have to use your own skill to pick the lock, but if you don't want to do that, there's a auto lock pick option, which will do it for you, it seems Oblivion is all about wandering around, talking to people and hacking away mindlessly until it's dead gameplay.

The world of Oblivion is overall done very well, with books that you can read to tell you about the setting of oblivion, and books about myths and theres even a romance book in there, so it really seems the developers went all out and did a great job of making a video game world, My favorite part of the Oblivion world was "The Dark Brotherhood" I feel this was the best written story in oblivion.

Graphics:

I can not flaw Oblivion in this department, nearly everything looks amazing, you could stop and look at anything and just be jaw dropped from how awesome everything looks. The only bad thing was the water, it looks more solid than...water should be, but it's not that big of a concern.

Sound:

The sound is spot on, Swords clanging together sounds something out of Lord Of The rings, all of the sound effects are spot on, The music is grand, but nothing that will stick in your head, but it's still perfect. The voice acting in Oblivion is for the most part good.(Patrick Stewart) Captain Picard from star Trek is the best voice actor in the game and nails the opening dialogue spot on, some voice actors should go back to drama class, but mostly Oblivion got it right with Voice acting.

Overall:

I'm not saying Oblivion is a bad game, but it's not Brilliant ether.
    You have no real choices in how you accomplish things. All you can do is kill things in different ways. There are no meaningful choice/consequence scenarios, everything in the game is a minor setback. Hand-holding devices like level-scaling, the quest-compass, and immortal NPCs screw up the linear quests even more. The vast world and the "Do whatever" gameplay just hides what Oblivion sets off not to be, Linear,

Pro's
    -Great Replayability
    - Awesome Graphics
    - The Dark Brotherhood is awesome
    - Game is fun for awhile

Con's

- Horses add next to nothing to the game. You can't fight on horseback, and fast travel really axes their usefulness.
    - Fast Travel makes having a vast world for you to explore pointless.
    - Boring storyline
    - The game after it's fun repetitive wears off, becomes one big boring quest.
    - Combat doesn't really have any tactical ways of fighting

Score:
    7.5 Out Of 10.

2. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

I think you've got the whole thing pretty spot on there. And I might add a thing or two.

VOICE ACTING:
    Whilst over all, the voice acting was good, Bethesda did a poor job on placing what voices go for what NPC. At one stage you could be talking to a begger, and she sounds like a begger. However, if you ask them about a certain topic, that begger will then talk like a noble of some sort.

DARK BROTHERHOOD:
    Yes, the dark brotherhood was very good and well developed, however there were some parts within it that just made no sense... Such as, there is one quest where you are placed within a house with a half dozen NPC's (sort of like a medieval Big Brother), and you're job is to kill them all without anyone finding out.. Anyhow, by the time when there is maybe 2 or 3 people left, they are going on saying stuff like, "Who could it be!?", and, "I suspect [INSERT NPC], if we gang up, we can kill them." It's utterly ridiculous, as you are walking around in full armour with a sword and bow on you're back.. Sort of gives an Assassin's Creed feel to it.

Anyhow, I also believe that the Thieves Guild was actually the most DEVELOPED. As it was probably the longest, with you making your way through hidden dungeons in the castle for a possible hour or more, depending on whether you get yourself rather lost. And the means for you to "rank up" in a sense by stealing loot and selling them at fences until you reach a certain total amount sold.

Anyhow, it was a good game overall, however it did get repetitive. After you finish the primary quest and the main secondary quests (i.e. the guilds), you find that you've essentially run out of things to do, except maybe to explore every square inch of the map, raiding forts, or scouting caves.. However this gets rather old, as the only things you really end up fighting are Necromancers, Vampires, or small menial creatures..

Overall for me: 7/10

3. DeathNoteL

DeathNoteL
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Thanks, I thought that this was my worst review tbh, because i had to rush it, and manly because I didn't have the motivation to write a review about Oblivion.

4. punkeverywhere

punkeverywhere
    Expand Collapse

it is so big it scares me, I can't play it through, or even keep interest in it.

5. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I loved Oblivion, I think it's a triple A grade game, the thing that I hate in Oblivion though is the bug-filled world, there is not that much interaction with people, and those... ZOOM IN ZOOM OUT CUTSCENES just scares me the hell out

It's a 8.5/10 for me.

6. Void_Knight

Void_Knight
    Expand Collapse
    kek i was spotted pls
    Veteran

I liked oblivion but it was missing something, I just hate that its about ghosts,trolls and what not. I wish it was based off that time period and you fought bandits and other soldiers. That is a game.