Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Stranger Things

Discussion in 'Other Entertainment' started by Mizel, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

This Netflix show... oh my glob.

I hate it when people gush over shows non-stop. If there's anything to make me NOT want to watch a show, movie, play a game, etc. - it's when people won't shut the heck up about it.

Now after seeing Stranger Things, I'm one of those people! :p

But seriously, this show is fantastic. It's like a Stephen King inspired Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror (and no, nothing like that absolutely horrid show American Horror Story) show.

2. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

I have noticed the show, but never seen it.

3. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

It's only 8 episodes for the first season. I highly recommend it :D

4. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I don't appreciate your AHS bashing :p

I saw it popup on Netflix a while back and briefly read the description but didn't get around to it. Sounds like I'm missing out. Will report back after I've watched an episode.

5. ultraviolet

ultraviolet
    Expand Collapse

although Stranger Things is good its not better than American Horror Story but you cant really compare them, if Stranger Things was 5 seasons in and the same subject matter that would be different. its like saying the tv show Mr Robot is better than Hannibal
    AHS seasons 1, 2 and 5 are exceptional peaces of TV [who would of thought Lady Gaga would be so good in season five's 'Hotel']

season 6 is just around the corner! [woohoo!]

a couple of cool tracks from Hotel:

6. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

So I got around to watching and even finishing this late last month. It was indeed worth watching, definitely a different take than AHS as this was more sci-fi horror. Having said that, AHS had better character development IMO but given the nature of the storyline for Stranger Things, it made sense why they took that approach.

In this show I was more focused on the main storyline versus individual characters which was an appealing aspect of AHS for me at least.

7. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Didn't realize I had inadvertently started a one show is better than another debate thread by throwing that little AHS bashing comment in there! lol That was not my intention and was entirely my fault, I apologize! In my experience arguing over which show is "better" never works out since it is after all, entirely opinion based and someone just inevitably gets offended. I solemnly swear I shall refrain from future AHS bashing :p

[​IMG]

So, back to Stranger Things - season 2 was just announced! I honestly wasn't sure they'd even be doing more than one season since the first season wrapped so well. I'm excited to see where they go with it, I just hope they don't drag it on and on just for the sake of keeping it going like you tend to see with a lot of shows these days. It takes a good producer/director to know when a show is past is prime and when it's time to throw in the towel before the show starts getting stale.

I've also been reading a lot of awesome show fan theories, particularly regarding Barb.
    It used to be that in a lot of horror movies the "virgin" always survived, symbolizing being sexually promiscuous was a bad thing. But it seems like Stranger Things took this the opposite direction. We see Barb as this innocent girl that tries to keep Nancy from the "dark side" of partying and sex, etc., and in the end she is the one that dies instead of Nancy - showing that times are changing and it's not bad to experiment and explore your sexuality - it's natural. I thought that was a really interesting theory :)

8. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

That's an interesting theory but I think that's maybe overthinking it as a more ideal scenario would have been this if that were the intent from my perspective:

If that were the case, then it should have had Barb refusing advances from a boy but instead it just kind of shows her as the odd one out, similar to the nerdy guys they typically show in movies/TV shows who can't get girls. Not quite "righteous virgins" but maybe I'm overthinking that theory too lol.

#8 GaMeR, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016