Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Stereotypes, Among Other Things

Discussion in '/random' started by Danny Wistom, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Danny Wistom

Danny Wistom
    Expand Collapse

Stereotypes in the gaming community are beyond plentiful. Whether it's controversy regarding violent/explicit content, or the virtual female genre, they're just everywhere. What do you guys think personally about is stuff, and what are some of the false stereotypes you've heard? I'll list a few examples to get started...

-That we're all adolescent males at 2 A.M. Halo/CoD sessions
    -We don't contribute to society at all
    -Videogames turn people into murdering psychopaths (i.e. DOOM II and Columbine, Grand Theft Auto as a whole)

2. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

This point in particular is what seems to be the most rampant and is the one that really bothers me as uninformed individuals use games as a scapegoat when in reality, there are other underlying issues that cause such problems which are being ignored. In the case of unfortunate incidents like Columbine, while I do not deny that games may have influenced the individuals, so did a lot of other things and it wasn't gaming alone that led them to it.

3. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Aside from what GaMeR just mentioned; although not exactly a stereotype, people whom view videogames as a negative hobby, or a waste of time. Or, as you put it, gamers don't contribute to society.

Just like just about anything else, videogames can be a form of stress relief, it can be entertainment, it can be a job, or even a form of connecting with others.

It's especially annoying when it comes from folks whom don't mind spending hours a day and night on facebook or youtube or staring at their phones everywhere, but will instantly bring gamers down -______-

4. Danny Wistom

Danny Wistom
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that's definitely what annoys me the most. I'll add onto this reply later, I'm in class at the moment...

5. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

Those you guys mentioned are probably the biggest.

I hate the one where people think that just because I sit by my computer a lot they think Im constantly gaming, IMO there is a difference in gaming, watching movies/series or just checking internet. And of course we have the "no life" comments I get now and then.

6. Danny Wistom

Danny Wistom
    Expand Collapse

The "no life" comments are probably the most ironic, considering the person saying it had enough time to write a comment about you having no life. :p

7. DatDude

DatDude
    Expand Collapse

I rather waste my time playing video games than watching reality TV any day.

8. Danny Wistom

Danny Wistom
    Expand Collapse

TLC and HGTV ain't got nothin' on video games...