Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Ska

Discussion in 'Other Entertainment' started by Rawk, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Rawk

Rawk
    Expand Collapse

Ska is my favorite genre of music, by far.

It is, defined by wikipedia, a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1950s, and was the precursor to rocksteady and reggae.

I assume that most of you won't enjoy it though, just because A. you play video games and B. you're on the internet, which both make you very prone to enjoy metal more than anything else.

Ska is an awesome genre because of it's history, it has had 3 waves thus far. The first wave in Jamaica was the precursor to reggae. It was pretty much reggae though... Second wave was in Britain which took it and added british pop elements to it. Than third wave came and it's everywhere and is normally described as punk with horns, but it isn't just punk with horns. It has different beats and themes than punk, it's not as rebellious. It's more awkward and geeky, while also keeping true to Jamaican roots.

But, why continue to explain? Why not show you some Ska. This is going to be all 3rd wave, because that's what I enjoy most.

Everything Sucks - Reel Big Fish

My Decision - The Planet Smashers

Super Rad - The Aquabats

Keasbey Nights - Streetlight Manifesto

Shinin' On - Big D and the Kid's Table

Those are some of the more well known Ska bands, also some of my favorite songs by them.

Hope you enjoy or at least hear about a new genre.

2. +Deagle+

+Deagle+
    Expand Collapse

? wtf? do you think were a bunch of un-cultured n00bz?

yes im pretty sure alot of pple know what ska is, try some mighty mighty bosstones http://www.bosstonesmusic.com/

or maybe some ska-punk like choking victim or leftover crack?

Zox-decent band

Pepper- like it

Judge Dread is a Legend!

P.S. Wiki=not a dictionary

3. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Reel Big Fish
    Planet Smashers
    Sublime
    Jim's Big Ego

<3

4. Rawk

Rawk
    Expand Collapse

Hey, you wouldn't believe how many people I've run into that just go "Never heard of it, crap."

Glad to see we have fans :D. Yeh, I love the Bosstones, haven't heard of the other ones from your post. Know all of the ones from Joe's.

If you like Skacore you should definitely check out the Flatliners, they are pretty sick.

5. Jedi Sasquatch

Jedi Sasquatch
    Expand Collapse

Sublime kicks ass. I don't think they're "ska" though.

6. +Deagle+

+Deagle+
    Expand Collapse

kinda, but i wouldnt consider them too much of what they are. I like them and all...but seriously when you listen to them like i have, you realize that alot of what they had on their track list was a bunch of covers from way back in the day ska.(and alot of pple thought that sublime wrote those originally) lol I will say i love sublimes covers haha those are the only songs they play that i like.

that is because they just listen to whats on the radio, or whats on mtv, or whats popular and they dont know how to open up their musical taste beyond lil wang and solja bitch. little do they know they are missing out on a world of beautiful music! and im not just talking about ska!

you need to look up some leftover crack and choking victim! good real punk ska!

judge dreads cover of A message to you Rudy is freakin awesome!

7. SSD BASICALLY OWNS YOUR FACE

hmmm ska-punk wise... Mustard Plug is good, Leftover Crack, Morning Glory, INDK, Choking Victim,

Ska wise though,Skatalites, The Ska-Dows, Judge Dread, Laurel Aitken, The Specials, Dandy Livingstone, Claudette, Hot Rod All Stars, Desmond Riley...

Basically all the old skinhead stuff.

8. Rawk

Rawk
    Expand Collapse

Heh, I can see you're a second wave fan.

Yeah, Mustard Plug is great too, one of my favorites. I'll have to look into some of those Skacore bands.

Also, Ska does the best covers ever. They even cover their own songs!

You guys know Reel Big Fish originally started out as a cover band? They did all sorts of things, even Metalica.

9. firo773

firo773
    Expand Collapse

i'm not big into ska music. i listened to that reel big fish song. it's not bad. I'm just more into alternative rock and then into a little more heavy stuff. but i do like sublime.

btw the local venue is always playing local high school ska bands all the freaking time. i'm tired of it XD

10. +Deagle+

+Deagle+
    Expand Collapse

i wish we had garage ska bands...they would be better than these stupid lame emo screamo bands that form around where i live. they scream at top of their lungs, pple running around "hardcore" dancing and anytime i actually start to mosh like any REAL concert or show they kick me out. -.-....i would shit myself if we had ska bands around here.

11. SSD BASICALLY OWNS YOUR FACE

I would be so confused if I saw an Oklahoma rude boy

12. DeathNoteL

DeathNoteL
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ah SSD, haven't saw you around for awhile...or perhaps I just haven't been around enough.

as for Ska music, went though a tiny phase of liking it when i was 14 or 13 can;t remeber when, But then i realised I don't really find it that intresting to listen too. However If Metal isn't at hand and it was a pick of Drum and Bass or Ska, Ska would win hands down, in fact i'd pick it over most genres.

13. +Deagle+

+Deagle+
    Expand Collapse

true...but still it would be an upside you have to admit