Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Rarely see older gamers with 3DS/Vita

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by GaMeR, Sep 8, 2014.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Aside from game stores that have events, I rarely see older gamers playing on their 3DS/Vita, most of them seem to just play games on their mobile phones.

The same for kids although I do see more younger gamers with their 3DS/Vita but it's a much rarer sight for the older crowd.

Has anyone else observed this?

2. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Funny enough, my best friend's mom's is in her mid-60's. She has a DS that she used to play all the time. Now, it was one of those memory games or whatever, but still :p

3. CQCstyle14

CQCstyle14
    Expand Collapse

I've never really seen anyone with a Vita in general, but I agree. It mostly has to deal with the image of being a nerd or a geek. If you play on your phone it's a normal thing, but all the sudden you pull out a 3DS and people are like "Wtf dude, are you 5?". It's just society.

4. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I don't think it's a stereotype thing necessarily, seems to be more of a convenience factor that mobile games are simply "getting the job done" and there's not as many truly engaging games on the 3DS/Vita to warrant someone to actually lug it around to play on the go versus whipping out their phone.

5. Zyjerah

Zyjerah
    Expand Collapse

I suppose you're right, but I don't actually really see anyone with handhelds anymore. Now that's probably because I'm not outside a whole lot, but y'know. I myself though tend to not bring my 3DS anywhere unless I'm traveling somewhere for more than a couple hours, for fear of damaging it. Which I know kind of defies the point I guess but really I just play it at home. Could be that the adults are more conservative in that respect than kids who don't really mind so much.

6. omegaphoenix11

omegaphoenix11
    Expand Collapse

I don't see folks with handhelds all that often myself, save for an older woman at work playing Rayman or something like it.

Phones are just... practical. They are already a phone after all.

7. FallenKnight

FallenKnight
    Expand Collapse

I have noticed this as well and I think it's due to convenience. There are also a lot of quality mobile games that are just as in-depth as the console handheld games so it's a matter of quality competition too as there are not just simple puzzle games like there were in the past.

8. Danny Wistom

Danny Wistom
    Expand Collapse

I think I'm one of the six people in the world to buy a Vita. That being said, I don't see older folks with 3DS's at all. Not personally or in public, anyway. I see my friends with 'em, but that's about it...

9. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I haven't even met anyone else in this entire town with a handheld :p I carry my VITA sometimes.

Older folks carry liquor around a lot around here :p

10. Heisenberg

Heisenberg
    Expand Collapse

I feel like handhelds are almost pointless now due to newer cell phones which are more practical and offer a larger selection of games.

11. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Which is weird to me because I can't imagine anyone choosing a cell phone over a handheld for gaming (unless you're talking about pulling your phone out while you're waiting 10 minutes at the doctor's office or something). For some reason... cell phone games, even some really good Android ones, are just not something that I can get into. Holding a small phone and playing a game with no real buttons/controls... having to use your damn finger to move, etc. It's uncomfortable, it's frustrating and I have no interest. The only games I use my phone for are just dumb stupid games like Words With Friends or the Family Guy/Simpsons games.

And games are another thing. Cell phones do offer a larger selection of games, but they are 95% crap arse (mostly "free" aka pay to win) games meant for kids or old people. I'd much rather play a game like SSB or Yoshi's Island on a handheld than Candy Crush or Clan Wars on my phone.

12. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

/thread

13. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

A good point although it's important to remember that not every gamer is as picky as to what they spend their time on: https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/2/candy-crush-saga/

Money talks :(

Expect a Candy Crush section on the forum soon :p

14. ultraviolet

ultraviolet
    Expand Collapse

well, i'm more than likely the oldest member on this forum and i'm always playing on my Vita, smart-phone / tablet games are ok, but, the novelty soon wears off for real gaming. unexpectedly stuck on a car / train / bus; i can see the appeal

15. ultraviolet

ultraviolet
    Expand Collapse

thats some crazy numbers!

i would never ever buy / download a King software game, if you look into the company i'll not like what you find

16. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I have to admit, I picture the crowd of people that mainly play phone games (like Candy Crush) very different than those that play handheld consoles. I feel like games like CC do so well because it's mainly teens or bored housewives with nothing else to do and money to blow.

Oddly enough, the only two people I know that still play CC obsessively are in fact, bored housewives haha

That being said, like I mentioned earlier... if I'm bored and only have my phone and have nothing else to play, I have no problem playing any and every game I can to keep myself entertained (including CC) :p 

17. CarelessRex

CarelessRex
    Expand Collapse

Ugh! I both love and hate mobile games. They're fun and convenient but I would hate to see them replace the more fleshed out games that other platforms can provide. To answer the original question, I have noticed that. On the flip side, when I was living in Japan I noticed that a large number of people, both old and young, would be out playing 3ds, Vita or the like. Especially on the trains in Tokyo lol. I'll never forget seeing an old businessman sitting on the train playing Animal Crossing. It was truly a beautiful site. I think people are still embarrassed by their hobby and that prevents some people from taking their handhelds out. It's much easier and "cooler" (pff) to just pull your phone out.

18. Danny Wistom

Danny Wistom
    Expand Collapse

...I want to go to Japan now. Just to see that.

19. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I honestly don't think that's it at all. Imo, it's the huge cultural difference in Japan compared to the US when it comes to life in general. Japanese homes are often a lot smaller (and in urban areas), so people spend a lot more time outside in general, hence the handhelds. They also spend a considerably longer amount of time using public transportation.

I also read an article a year or two ago that discussed how one of the main reasons handhelds are so popular in Japan is because of the types of games they prefer. Apparently they are not fans of Western gaming (since people in the US for some reason have a major hard on for FPS's/crappy warfare games).... I'm with them there LOL But since overall they tend to prefer fantasy games with actual stories/plots, handhelds are the way to go. No sense buying an expensive console with "amazing" graphic abilities if you're mainly playing JRPG's. And it's insanely cheaper, as well as insanely faster, to make and produce handheld JRPG's.      

20. Danny Wistom

Danny Wistom
    Expand Collapse

I've heard that Japanese gamers also play many more rhythm games and dating simulators. The 1,000,000 subscriber Game Theory episodes explains it relatively well. Skip to 6:56 on this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MyUC_28HIvA