Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Photoshop Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Other Entertainment' started by Voscillate, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]
    * maybe this could get pinned? :rolleyes:

While I've only been here for a month or so, I've noticed a few signatures that are lacking in something, whether it be font, blending, or something else. I figured that instead of critiquing everybody, I'd compile simple yet helpful tutorials and guides that everyone can use to improve or experiment with. In this thread, I will upload various guides varying from text effects/improvements, to different blending guides and signature tutorials.​

*If you have any tutorial requests or questions, feel free to PM me or respond to this thread. Also, don't be afraid to post the things you have made from these tutorials. A little trial and error never hurt anyone!

Tutorials:
    * Simple Text Effect[/color]]
    Here, we have a very bland, unblended string of text:

[​IMG]

Add a stroke effect to it via the Blending Options panel (a 1 pixel black stroke works best):

[​IMG]

Now, find an image that doesn't have much variation in colour, and place it behind the text, making sure it surrounds the perimeter of the text:
    (don't worry about the background being distorted by this image, the rest of it besides the part behind the text will be deleted):

[​IMG]

Once you have selected the image, click the layer of text, choose the "Magic Wand Tool" and click anywhere outside of the text:

[​IMG]

Now, right click and a box should appear, select "Similar":

[​IMG]

Click the layer below the text layer (it should be the one with the image placed behind the text), and hit delete. The image should appear to be gone:

[​IMG]

Now, choose a blending option from the menu that makes the text blend well (I selected "Overlay"):

[​IMG]

And voila, your text looks great, and blends in yet pops out of the background:

[​IMG]

* Text used in this tutorial: Digital Anarchy

* Smudge "Smoke" Tutorial[/color]]

This tutorial works best with "The Perfect Smudge Settings" tip.

[​IMG]

* Using Text to Contain Text[/color]]
    * Requested by Gamerteamguy *

[​IMG]

Have you ever wanted to use a single character of the alphabet to contain strings of text to convey a message like pictured above? Learn how below:

First, make a canvas that is large enough to contain a large character (around 500x500), set the resolution to 300, and make sure the background contents is set to white:

[​IMG]

Next, choose the Text Tool (T), and type in the character you want to contain the text in. Bolder and wider fonts usually work better:

[​IMG]

Then, use the Free Transform Tool (CTRL+T) to change the character to your desired size:

[​IMG]

Select the Text Tool (T) again, but don't click in the created text box of the character, instead, right click anywhere inside the canvas and a list of options should pop up, select "Make Work Path":

[​IMG]

Then, hide the text layer by clicking the layer visibility button next to the layer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, click in the outlined character, but DO NOT type yet. Set the font smaller, around 5-7 pixels, and then click the "Toggle the Character and Paragraph Panel" on the top tool bar:

[​IMG]

Go to the "Paragraph" panel tab, and click the "Justify All" button:

[​IMG]

Finally, type in your text. Although the characters will be far apart at the start, hitting the space bar after each one will make it resize normally, when you are finished, simply click out of the textbox, and hit CTRL+H to get rid of the text outline:

[​IMG]

* How To Add A Simple Vignette To A Signature[/color]]
    [​IMG]

Tips & Resources:
    * (RESOURCE): Where To Get Renders, Fonts, Etc.[/color]]

Renders, Fonts, and other things Photoshop-related (brushes, patterns, etc.) can be found in many places, but here are a few of my favorite sites. Also, when you are using a render, it is best to use a .png image, as it yields the best quality and makes editing 100 times easier. Anyway, here are a few URLs to various websites containing the basic things you will need for every Photoshop creation:

Fonts:
    DaFont
    Fonts101
    FontSpace
    UrbanFonts
    Acid Fonts

Renders:
    GameRenders Forum
    Baka Renders
    Planet Renders

Brushes:
    My Photoshop Brushes
    Brusheezy
    BrushKing
    QBrushes

* (TIP): The Perfect Smudge Settings[/color]]
    [​IMG]

* Note: If you have troubles seeing, just save the image to your computer and you should be able to see everything clearly

* (TIP): How To Make And Use "Scan Lines"[/color]]

Scan lines are a very effective, yet simple tool in a signature that you want to look complex or futuristic.

Here are a few examples of scan lines in a signature:

[​IMG]
    You can see the scan lines in the visor of the Nanosuit from Crysis.

[​IMG]
    You can see the scan lines in the firey background, adding texture and definition.

[hr]

How To Make Scan Lines:

First, make a new, 4 pixel by 4 pixel transparent canvas in Photoshop:

[​IMG]

Now, click the "Zoom" tool on the side toolbar, then click "Fit Screen" on the top toolbar:

[​IMG]

Your canvas should look exactly like this:

[​IMG]

Grab the pencil tool (B), and set the pixel size to 1 and the color to black (this should be default, but it doesn't hurt to double check.) Now, go diagonally from the left of the canvas, filling in the pixels like this:

[​IMG]

When you are done with that, go to Edit > Define Pattern, and save the pattern to something of your preference:

[​IMG]

Now that you are all done making the scan lines; learn how to use them below.

[hr]

How To Use Scan Lines:

First, make sure that you have a big enough canvas (500x150 works best), so the scan lines are not oversized and make the signature look poor. Then, incorporate a background that you like, but make sure not to make it too dark (usually reds and oranges work best with this effect). I just whipped up a basic yet effective background to show you the effect of scan lines:

[​IMG]

Now, right click the layer you want to apply the scan lines to (usually works best with a layer that is directly below a layer that is using some sort of blending mode), and click "Blending Options...":

[​IMG]

Now click "Pattern Overlay", click the drop down arrow next to "Pattern", and the pattern you created should show up. Click it, and it should appear to add the scan lines across your canvas:

[​IMG]

* Note, if the scan lines are too hard to see, you can always change the size of them from the "Pattern Overlay" section of the Blending Options panel (100%-125% works the best).

* (TIP): How To Install Brushes[/color]]

* Just a quick tip here because I knew it took me awhile to figure out how to actually install third-party Photoshop brushes:

First, click the Brush Tool (B), and click the downward arrow on the top toolbar next to where it shows the brush selection:

[​IMG]

Then click the arrow pointing right to the right-hand corner of the brush selection panel, and go down to "Load Brushes...":

[​IMG]

Then all you have to do is go to the folder where the .ABR file is located, click "Open" in the Load Prompt Box, and the brushes should be located below the stock Photoshop brushes.

* (RESOURCE): Photoshop Key-Shortcuts[/color]]

[​IMG]

2. Gamerteamguy

Gamerteamguy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

What tool do you use?

3. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

* UPDATE: A new tutorial has been added (Simple Text Effect v1)

[hr]

The tool I used in the Simple Text Effect tutorial was the Magic Wand Tool. Here is an image of it:

[​IMG]

4. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

* UPDATE: A new resource has been added (Where To Get Renders, Fonts, Etc.)
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    * UPDATE: A new tip has been added (The Perfect Smudge Settings)

5. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

* UPDATE: A new tutorial has been added (Smudge "Smoke" Tutorial)

6. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

* UPDATE: A new tip has been added (How To Make And Use "Scan Lines")

7. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

* UPDATE: A new tip has been added (How To Install Brushes)

8. Gamerteamguy

Gamerteamguy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

You know the form of poetry were the words make up a object ? What's the best system for that?

9. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

Are you talking about something like this? Where the text you are trying to convey is contained within a single character of text?:

[​IMG]

If so, I will work on a tutorial sometime tomorrow. I won't have time tonight.​

10. Gamerteamguy

Gamerteamguy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yes, thank you!

Also try this site it awesome you can sell Art.

11. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

* UPDATE: A new tutorial has been added (Using Text to Contain Text) Requested by Gamerteamguy.

12. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

* UPDATE: A new tutorial has been added (How To Add A Simple Vignette To A Signature)

* UPDATE: A new resource has been added (Photoshop Key-Shortcuts)

13. marybarger

marybarger
    Expand Collapse

that's a nice Photoshop,
    thanks for tip's,
    i want to try that site and specially can share to my friends.