Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Path of Exile Review

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by BobTD, Jan 31, 2013.

1. BobTD

BobTD
    Expand Collapse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaLnlR9b9Ds
    (This is a random example video and I take no credit for it)

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Path of Exile is a free to play Diablo clone. There is no shame in acknowledging that Diablo created its own sub-genre. We could say action RPG, but let’s be honest mass effect and fable are action RPGs. To be truly honest, this is fixed camera loot collecting gear focused hack in slash in the style of the original Diablo in all its glory.

But what does Path of Exile do that’s new you ask?

It has done away with currency for a loot system. I mean, there is no gold; your character is fighting for survival rather than riches, after being exiled. As well all your skill will come from skill orbs, that you will have to attach to the sockets in items. There are three color orb types and three sockets, and only matching sockets with orbs of the same color is allowed. Each color represents a stat:

Red: Strength
    Blue: Intelligence
    Green: dexterity

[​IMG]

There are six classes, 3 single stat focused and 3 duel stat focused. All skills can be used by any class, but they lvl over time and will hit limits based on how much of each main stat you have. So while I started a ranger I could use lvl 1 raise zombie. But could only lvl the skill 4 times before I needed a lot more int.

This brings us to the massive skill tree:

[​IMG]

Kind of reminds me of FFX. The skill tree is one of the most interesting aspects of Path of Exile because essentially every character will be unique. You will end up with hundreds of skill points by the time you hit the cap, but that still won’t be enough to fill this skill tree. The ability and skill bonuses on the tree will drastically affect the way your character plays.

Another interesting thing this game aims to do is introduce a lot of hardcore oriented content. Any hardcore character that dies moves to normal, so there is no reason not to attempt hardcore. There will also be regular hardcore ladders and awards for competing to lvl a hardcore character.

Pvp will also be a focus of Path of exile. With a pvp mode that will allow you and your friends to invade another groups game and attack them. You can choose not to be part of PVP, which might be a good idea because you will drop everything you have equipped if you die.

So if you like F2P hardcore gamer oriented hack and slash RPGs, this might be for you.

2. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

RE: Path of Exile

From my experience with the game so far, I'd say you're on point.

Another nice thing is that so far the paid content doesn't really give the non-paying ones a significant unfair advantage which isn't the case for many other F2P title. It reminds me of the Killing Floor DLC model where the DLC is just for aesthetics, not actual performance and thus you can still support the devs. without creating an unfair playing field for all.

3. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I must point out that this review of yours is not really a review but somehow a "inside scoop" rather than a review, you know scoops that you can find in magazine articles. But thanks for taking time for making this, It reminded me to take a look to PoE haha.

4. BobTD

BobTD
    Expand Collapse

One could also say I reviewed what was available seeing as its in open beta. I save proper reviews for finished games.

And Gamer made a good point about the micro transaction system being cosmetic. They hope to hold regular ladder tournaments so pay to win would devalue those events.