Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

New Nintendo 3DS XL - Majora's Mask Edition Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Tanooki, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Tanooki

Tanooki
    Expand Collapse

Hardware Name: New Nintendo 3DS XL - Majora's Mask Edition
    Type: Handheld Game Console
    Price: $199.99
    [​IMG]

Note: this is a review of upgrading from the first 3DS model to the 3DS XL - Majora's Mask Edition.

I purchased a 3DS early back in 2011. I was a Nintendo Ambassador because I purchased it so early, and I was really excited about having my first DS. It served me well over the years once games of interest started to be released for it. Just recently, my L trigger button started to tighten, and I thought perhaps it was time for an upgrade. Luckily the New Nintendo 3DS XL was announced and I jumped on placing a pre-order for it right away.

I never utilized the 3D functionality outside the first few times I played my 3DS, so I was not so invested in the new 3D features. I was more interested in the higher processing power and upgrading to an XL option, which was not available in the first run of 3DS systems in 2011. Amiibo support was also a curious addition to the system as Nintendo continues to expand support for it.  Luckily the wait was not long, and I had my New Nintendo 3DS XL in hand about one month after ordering.

The box was smaller than I anticipated, holding only the DS, a booklet, and the AR cards. No charger was included. Luckily I still had the charger for my own 3DS, and getting another one would not be a huge issue as they have remained unchanged since the DSi generation.  I never used the AR cards much, so I just slipped them back in the box and opened up the manual so I could learn about the transfer. The SD card I had in my old 3DS was 2GB while the new 3DS has a 4GB microSD that gave me more space! I have several demos, my ambassador games, and a few download titles on my 3DS so I was happy that they would all transfer without a hitch. The transfer was simple as well, though it took a little while. It can be conducted wirelessly. Be warned, however, that the 3DS  and SD card you are transferring from (the source) gets reformatted after transfer, so you want to make sure all important things get carried over.

Seeing the 3DS systems side by side, the difference is significant. The 3D for the new 3DS has a much larger vantage point then the original, allowing me to see it from many angles versus one sweet spot. The screen being so much larger allows for games like Persona Q to look incredibly better with more space for all that is going on. I imagine that Fire Emblem will play nicely on the XL, as well as many others. The picture quality is improved off the bat. My Isabelle theme looked wonderful on the XL! It DOES have an auto brightness setting, however, which constantly was trying to adjust to the poor lighting in my room. This got old fast, but you can quickly disable (or re-enable) this from the main menu screen in the same area as you can pick themes.

The little nub on the right side, near the buttons, is another control stick. Most games don’t currently have a function for it, however, both Majoras Mask 3DS and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate can utilize these in some form. The battery life also seems to have improved for the XL, which will be very helpful while on the go. Sound quality and picture quality are both great as well. The only negative I can think of is that the shiny smooth finish on the outside of the DS attracts finger prints and smudges quickly. I need to pick up a case ASAP to preserve the Majora’s Mask design when I store it in my bag, since the 3DS is too large to be stored in a pocket.

Overall, the upgrade has proven to be worthwhile for me. Others who may have recently purchased a newer 3DS model may not need to upgrade yet. My original 3DS still has a good life to it, and I hope to pass it on to someone who will love it as much as I did. I look forward to what the new 3DS XL has to offer in terms of exclusive content, and how Amiibos will play into future game releases.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg
    Expand Collapse

You mentioned it has a better processor so does that mean that the games load faster?