Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

New gaming Pc

Discussion in 'Technology' started by davidjude, Jul 23, 2015.

1. davidjude

davidjude
    Expand Collapse

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ NCIX US) 

Memory: Mushkin Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($52.98 @ OutletPC) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.98 @ OutletPC) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.89 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($324.99 @ NCIX US) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ Micro Center) 

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 OEM (64-bit)  ($99.98 @ OutletPC) 

Monitor: AOC i2769Vm 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($230.99 @ B&H) 
    Total: $1490.66

any thoughts?

2. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

If you're an Amazon Prime member (Which I'm guessing not, since you don't have it listed under any of your components) you could get the Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB instead for $97 with free shipping.
    Also, EVGA had that GPU on a $299 sale that just baaaaaaarely ended :p

Aside from that, all the components are compatible, decent price/performance, and should play anything you throw at it maxed at 1080p, and mostly maxed at 1440p, as well.

Although, if you think you'll go SLI in the future, I'd get a heftier PSU.
    Also, looking at any "gaming" oriented keyboards and mice?

3. davidjude

davidjude
    Expand Collapse

I haven't thought much on a mouse or keyboard. Any thoughts?

4. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

When it comes to a mouse for gaming, I think that's about preference. Are you the type of person that likes your mouse to have a zillion extra buttons and stuff? Or do you prefer simpler 3-5 buttons? I know I prefer my $25 Logitech 3-button mouse way over any $150 zillion-button mouse. Again, all preference.

As for the keyboard.... I would 100% recommend the Orion Spark. Amazing keyboard. Amazing response time. At $170, it is a bit pricey. But absolutely worth it, imo.

5. davidjude

davidjude
    Expand Collapse

Is my psu good enough or should I try to another one with higher wattage?

6. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Your PSU is good enough to run what you currently have. Like Zack said, if you plan on SLIing or anything in the future, you definitely want to go with a 750W *minimum*.

I did just find this article about the GTX 970 though you may want to check out: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html

Apparently the card has misaligned GPU versus heatpipes: "[font=Arial, Helvetica, Calibri, 'Lucida Grande', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', Arial, Verdana, Lucida, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'Droid Sans']Interesting, [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Calibri, 'Lucida Grande', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', Arial, Verdana, Lucida, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'Droid Sans']the cooler of the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX series graphics cards seems to be somewhat poorly designed. Well that or somebody forgot to look up the GPU placement on the PCB and didn't compare it to the cooler spec sheet. Photos from reviews with the cooler removed show clearly that the GPU is mounted way off the position of the heatpipes."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Calibri, 'Lucida Grande', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', Arial, Verdana, Lucida, Helvetica, sans-serif, 'Droid Sans']Just something to keep in mind/research some more to see if it's been corrected.[/font]

7. davidjude

davidjude
    Expand Collapse

One last thing. Do you guys have any suggestions for other motherboards that you guys have used that you really like.

8. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

@Mizzy: LOL that's funny! I actually have a 970 SC, I wonder if that's the case on mine :p The temps seem standard compared to the 760 SC I had before.

@David: I use the Logitech G700s for a mouse. About $50, wired or wireless. Comes with a rechargeable battery that you can charge by just plugging the mouse in. Good weight, build, response time, just enough buttons and functionality (DPI switch, battery indicator, mouse wheel scroll lock), and an actually super good software! You can customize all the buttons on the mouse to anything! :p

When it comes to the motherboard, literally any Z97 mobo will do you good. Any brand and any form.

And agree with Mizzy; the Orion Spark as an expensive but beautiful piece of hardware.

9. GTG_Lab

GTG_Lab
    Expand Collapse

Try a mechanical keyboard, they are so slick! As for mouses I agree with Mizel. If you have the money to spare, I'd get a 3-5 button mouse as well as something like a Razor Naga, which will give you a feel for what style of play you prefer, then you can invest in a more boss version of that mouse build ^_^.