Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Mirroring My PC To My TV; Opinions

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ZackKoutaRoxas, May 16, 2015.

1. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

So, sometimes I want to use my desktop PC with my TV to watch things, or even to game. But I'm trying to look at affordable options other than a ~20 ft HDMI cable, due to location of each device.

This product has been recommended to me by a few people.
    [​IMG]

Has anyone here had any experience with the Google Chromecast? Does it actually playback at a high FPS with little to no latency?
    Has anyone here tried other wireless options? Please, discuss.

2. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I haven't really tried anything like that so can't chime in but when I was in a similar scenario as you and just did it on occasion, I'd just drag my desktop on over to the other room and made sure I had a wireless mouse/keyboard so the cable hookups weren't really an issue as the only other thing plugged in was the power cable along with the video cable. But I would have a video cable in the other room so just unhooked it from the PC.

I also have used longass cables before too for a printer that required a lot of room and didn't support wireless acess, what I did was just ran the cable by the trim on the floor and used those nail tack things that they use for coax cables (for cable TV). You can find them at the dollar store for cheap or at any hardware store.

Not the ideal geek solution but hey, it works :p

3. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I've done that in the past with a desktop PC and a printer; but I have pets now :p I'm trying to keep cables to a minimum. Although, they are pretty good about not chewing on things, better safe.

Plus, My PC has a few more cables than you mentioned connected to it. But if I don't get better feedback, I might just end up moving it back and forth :p Better now to do that before I install liquid cooling, I suppose :p

4. ultraviolet

ultraviolet
    Expand Collapse

watching things on your tv is a whole different ball game to wanting to game on it. the Chromecast is great if your running a windows desktop for streaming media over wifi, but, its not going to really do the job if you want to game on it: for one he amount of data needed to get to the screen for 60fps (or over) 1080p lag free gaming would be amence.

I personally use a USB stick, bit old school I know, but it works perfectly, I have one or two with enough space on them for quite a few episodes in 1080 which I have on my desktop and I can watch them off it from my blu-ray player

if your thinking of gaming I would go for a steam box or something along those lines, costly, yes, but, they are perfect for a lounge gaming environment