Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Linux?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tomronny, Apr 4, 2014.

1. tomronny

tomronny
    Expand Collapse

So, I saw the recent post about a gaming Linux distro, and I got curious. I really do like Linux, but I could never fully switch due to the lack of game support. I always end up reinstalling windows. I want to start a discussion with you guys about this. Do you guys think that Linux is truly the future of gaming as GabeN says, and if so, when do you see support for Linux truly arising? Also, what do you guys think of the current state of Steam OS?

2. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Dual-boot is the way to go :p

But as far as being the future of gaming, I think the Steam OS is a step in the right direction as since Valve is a big player in PC gaming, it would be wise for developers to hop on-board along with video card manufacturers as they also have to cooperate to produce quality drivers. However, I don't think we will see major support until a few years from now as this is going to take some time to gain serious traction.

3. tomronny

tomronny
    Expand Collapse

I completely agree with you. I think that steam OS isn't necessarily the "Future of Gaming" as much as it is a push in the right direction. I think that it will take a few more years, but all it takes is one courageous big time dev to break the ice into Linux Gaming, and more will follow. Also dual boot FTW :biggrin: .

4. ultraviolet

ultraviolet
    Expand Collapse

linux uses such little system resources its the ideal gaming platform, specially on computers with limited RAM, i have only 4GB of RAM and on windows 7 with nothing else running in the back ground at start-up my memory usage use to be around 35%! Linux uses about 10% [with things like dropbox and google drive running as well] if you don't use itunes or game there is no reason to use windows i can think of off the top of my head
    it just makes more sense to game on Linux systems, and if more people do, more companies will make there games compatible. Valve could help this along a little with extra maps and stuff for linux like different consoles do for the same game

and linux is free! the amount you pay for windows is crazy for what you actually get

5. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I've noticed increased compatibility for all major consumer programs lately so it's easier to make the switch but full support for certain games/software still has a long way to go IMO. On the bright side, the indie game scene has been very supportive of releasing Linux ports.