Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Huion H420 Review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by GaMeR, Dec 9, 2014.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Huion H420
    Manufacturer:
    Huion
    Price: $30
    [​IMG]

Video Demonstration Review:

Aren’t these just for graphic designers?

Graphics tablets are generally used by both artists and professional graphic designers for enhanced precision drawing, but they can also be used for other applications as they essentially replace the input interface of a mouse. This means they can also be used for gaming with games that primarily utilize a mouse. In this review it was put to the test with the following free games (each with a brief description) to see how well it performed:

Draw-Play 1-3 – you have to guide the character to the following stage by drawing a safe path and avoiding obstacles.

Controls: mouse and arrow keys

[​IMG]

Solipskier – you have to draw the appropriate slopes for the skier to keep successfully going.

Controls: mouse only

[​IMG]

osu! – a PC adaptation of the popular rhythm genre, commonly seen in the Nintendo DS, an example would be a game like Elite Beat Agents.

[​IMG]

Clicker Heroes – an appropriately named RPG-like game where you click the hell out of monsters to defeat them and upgrade your attacks by using the loot acquired from them.

[​IMG]

Ditch the Mouse

For Draw-Play 1-3, the stylus works well in this game and makes drawing the path much more fun. Since you also need to use arrow keys, the H420 can address this by mapping the 3 buttons to the left arrow, right arrow, and up arrow (jump) to help the character navigate across the drawn path without having to use the keyboard keys. It feels a bit awkward though but it works. Alternatively, you can still just use your keyboard as due to the nature of this game, it’s not a hassle.

In Solipskier, the stylus works smoothly as well and is just as responsive as the mouse. Since the drawing area is not that large on the pad, you just have to be careful that you don’t get carried away in drifting the stylus out of the detection range.

osu! is a great example of how the stylus control scheme is much more immersive than the mouse as it simulates the gameplay of its console origins much more accurately. It is worth noting that I’m not particularly good at this game, and therefore, I tested it in the easier difficulty. Overall, the device seemed to register every movement accurately.

The stylus works flawlessly in Clicker Heroes as well as you essentially just have to tap the pad to simulate the click. This tapping gameplay is reminiscent of that found in mobile and tablet games.

Non-Gaming Performance

Our primary objective was to test it out for gaming purposes but since its use goes beyond gaming, it’s worth taking a brief look at this aspect as well.

I messed around with some doodling using Microsoft Paint (Windows 7) and was satisfied with the result. It felt much more natural than the mouse. I then attempted to use it for web browsing by using Window’s tablet functions that allow you to write out the text instead of typing it in. This worked as well but in this case, I don’t really see the benefit as it’s more of a hassle than just using the keyboard although this qualm is more with using this feature rather than with the device as even on native Windows tablets I rather use the keyboard. Another drawing program I tried it with was Open Sankore which is a free whiteboard program that’s awesome. The graphics tablet worked well with this as well as expected. Lastly, I experimented with Microsoft Word’s Inking feature that is used for marking up documents and again, was satisfied.

Final Scribble

For about $30, you get a good budget graphics tablet that’s great for some casual gaming and more serious work. Considering the price, the unit is well built as well which is pleasant as nowadays cheaper alternatives tend to feel very flimsy. Also, if you’re unfamiliar with graphics tablets in general, this unit is easy to set up and use. If you’ve installed a simple peripheral before such as a printer, you should have no problem getting this to work. The hardest part was probably making sure the battery was in the pen for which I consulted the manual and found out it was easy as I had speculated except I wanted to be sure to avoid accidental damage. Besides that, everything else was self-explanatory including mapping the 3 buttons. The configuration panel supports further tweaking, but I didn’t feel the need to do so for my basic usage. The only problem I encountered was that I also had a USB mouse connected to my laptop at first, and this caused some problems that the manual warned about as with the USB mouse, built-in touchpad, and graphics tablet, there was a total of 3 active mouse inputs. You can only have 2 active to avoid problems. Once I unplugged the USB mouse, I had no issues so keep this in mind.

Pros:

+Affordable price
    +Well-built
    +Responsive and easy to use

Cons:

-Not wireless but this is expected for the price
    -Smaller drawing area may provide limitations for more advanced usage

Huion’s H420 gets a “BUY IT” purchase recommendation for its performance and price.

For more info and to purchase:

Huion’s Amazon shop
    H420
    420 - it’s essentially the H420 without the 3 buttons and thus a bit cheaper.

Disclosure: A review unit was used to evaluate this product.

#1 GaMeR, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. FallenKnight

FallenKnight
    Expand Collapse

I used a different model in school once, didn't think of using it for games but seems like a good idea.

I'll keep this in mind if I decide to start drawing again as I don't like using the mouse.

3. Pickle14

Pickle14
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking that, in terms of non-graphical use, this tablet doesn't have much appeal. As you demonstrated, you can use it for (very) casual gaming, but I really don't see this as a selling point for the product. However, for $30, this seems like a great budget option for aspiring graphical artists or those who just want to dabble in graphic pad usage. Looks like a great starting point!

In terms of the review, I think the inclusion of many details is great. The more information you can give the consumer the better. One thing I could recommend is to show close up, detailed shots of the product. Great job!

4. dyeknom

dyeknom
    Expand Collapse

That's a great price point for a budget tablet, especially for high school students. I think graphic design should be a HS elective. This may be even great for people who use Bluestacks or another 'emulator' to play Android titles on their PC.

I currently use a different model and the limited number of mappable buttons is a major downside for it (and one without any buttons is just... well... not for me).

5. Zyjerah

Zyjerah
    Expand Collapse

The buttons are definitely a useful touch, were I to get one it would definitely be the H420 over the 420 purely for that. In most cases I prefer buttons over fully touch displays.
    If it were just a tad bigger I'd probably consider buying it, but as I'd use it for drawing a lot as well as gaming I think I'd prefer a bigger tablet.

6. b1essed

b1essed
    Expand Collapse

I appreciate the review as I have been interested in a similar product and this gave me some good information to compare against.

As for the review, I thought it was comprehensive and thorough. Some suggestions:
    Have someone proofread the article as I was able to notice a few grammatical errors. Also, I find it helpful to have the review from the beginning of your experience with the product to the end. So beginning with your experience with trying to make sure the batteries were in the pen and installing to final conclusion.

Overall, I found the review informational and really enjoyed the ending overview wrap up.

Thanks!

7. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

@ Pickle14, good point about closer product shots, in the video I show a size comparison but I think in the future I will also take a photo of such things and include it in the written review as well.

@ b1essed, I will consider addressing first impressions for a future product review as that is a valid concern. As for the grammar, I scanned through the text again and have revised the mistakes I detected, thanks for pointing that out.