Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

How Can We Get More Active Members?

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Voscillate, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Xone_Gamer

Xone_Gamer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

There is a chatbox, however due t spam it was limited to Veterans and staff...

2. M@nny

M@nny
    Expand Collapse

In that case I purpose to a chat mod to keep an eye on chat and ban spammers... But that's only my suggestion x3

3. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I think the issue with that is that someone would literally have to monitor it 24/7. And since one person alone couldn't possibly do that, in reality we'd need at least 3 mods who were doing nothing but sitting there and watching it :/ Although, there is a report button on the chat... that would prevent someone from having to stare at it all day and night? I must say, I do miss chat being available to everyone :p

I post links from the blog and site on FB often and I have also dropped off stickers/adverts for the site at my LCBS. I'd be willing to do that again, sort of a "street team" kind of deal. The only downside with that is cost of the mats, although something like flyers is relatively cost-free.

4. Specktren

Specktren
    Expand Collapse
    I make messes :x
    Heroic

Also the chat box took a lot away from posting as well. I noticed an increase in activity on the forum when the chat box went limited.. It gives a purpose to members, a goal of sorts to reach in order to obtain veteran status.

5. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

I guess I can mention this forum on my youtube channel. :)
    (not that many watches it but still)

6. Voscillate

Voscillate
    Expand Collapse

I agree, there weren't that many posts to begin with and I noticed that they died down substantially when the chat box was available for everyone. I think the chat box should be only accessed by veterans/staff members in order to be another incentive to stick around and help the forum/community.

7. Eminem

Eminem
    Expand Collapse

Eh, I admin a Facebook page for gamers that has over 9k likes, I'll see if I can get people to this forum.

8. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

That would be appreciated, thanks.

9. ultraviolet

ultraviolet
    Expand Collapse

i think the golden age of forums has been and gone. its very hard to have a massive forum only website, most high activity ones i go to are on a side part of the main website.

i don't think a shoutbox would work that well; a very quiet forum i go to has about 5 maybe 6 active members and most of the content is in the shoutbox. with under 5 or just above 5 post a day!

10. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

As much as I hate to say it, I agree. I loved the shoutbox because it was fun and a quick and easy way to interact.... but it does limit posting :/

11. Xone_Gamer

Xone_Gamer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

That's why the Shoutbox is Vets only :D

to encourage more posting.

12. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yupp. I tots get it. But it was still fun. Oh well, I always have the Random section for my randomness :p

13. Xone_Gamer

Xone_Gamer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

He, you still got me ;P

14. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

GOOD. Entertain me! Gogogogo :p

15. Space

Space
    Expand Collapse

Finally returning to this forum.

16. ultraviolet

ultraviolet
    Expand Collapse

we could put random NSFW words in our thread titles? what would draw people here :)

[boobies]

17. Zyjerah

Zyjerah
    Expand Collapse

I'll admit although I miss the ol' shout box I have seen more activity since. I myself don't have a whole lot of time, internet, or interesting things to say to actually post enough to become a vet anytime soon . Good strategy, but I sure miss our wonderful pointless conversations. Someday they shall return.

Until then:
    [​IMG]

18. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Forums in general seem to be dying down to me... With so many different kinds of social media now, ones that require more time, thought, and writing seem to be the ones only getting that special attention by not-the-masses. Facebook, instagram, snapchat, twitter, tumblr and the rest of those are exploding with people that have several accounts on them, checking them very regularly, uploading everything on to them, having them on all of their devices etc...

Now, with that being said, I'm glad we're not overflowing with people posting memes and what they're eating or where they're going 654687 times a day. But, at the same time, I do miss having a larger number of people here whom were a familiar community.

Lastly, considering how big of an industry Gaming is now, and how much more new product there very consistently is: I don't feel as baffled and blown away as often at all. I feel like there are so many different renditions of the same things, remakes, sequels, following a scheme that works instead of just throwing something experimental and new out there. Now I understand that some companies need money so they'll always make what is working, wanted, and sells. And I also understand with the Indie scene being so big and the hardware and software being stronger and more capable than ever that anything is possible! But we end up with a lot of very spectacular short games, or big games that feel,,, undone.

..... That would all lead to less talking, if you ask me :p So much has been done, I suppose having a similar conversation about similar product isn't new and exciting ~(-_-)~

19. 4realg4mer

4realg4mer
    Expand Collapse

I actually kind of like the small, close-knit community that this forum has, though yes, it really can feel kind of empty at times. Seriously, if there were maybe 20-30 more really active users, this place would rock.

Also, Zach hit the hammer on the head with that last paragraph. Their just simply isn't much new and exciting happening in the industry right now. Of course with VR coming out, that may be a different story soon...