Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Heroes of the Storm

Discussion in 'Computer Games' started by Mizel, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Whoa.... was there really not a Heroes of the Storm thread yet?! I used the search and went through by hand and didn't see one D:

So..... is anyone playing this? Because if you're not, you should be. It's amazing :)

2. Zyjerah

Zyjerah
    Expand Collapse

There wasn't a thread yet? Madness.
    Played this in alpha alllllll day every day. I suck at MOBAs, and usually hate them as a result, this though? Buckets of fun either way. Haven't played much since the alpha, the whole "heyyyyyy all you're progress is gone haha" wipe may have slightly demotivated me to start again. Not that I didn't expect it mind you, that happens with most alpha/beta tests, it's just that I ended up stopping because of it. Wanted to get back into it though, I never thought I'd miss playing a MOBA.

3. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Same here! I mean, I played a bit of DOTA and SC. Liked them both, but wasn't ever obsessed with them or anything. Tried LoL and that lasted about a day. Terrible community, pay to win, and just so much crap to memorize and take in. To each his own, but no thank you haha HotS has been really great so far. Not quite as daunting as LoL to learn, as fun as DOTA, good community, but still challenging. You can buy ALL of the heroes with gold..... but the mounts and skins and everything else are real monies. And as per the usual for Blizzard, really expensive! lol No way I am paying $10 for a skin or $25 for a mount.... but hey, the option is there if you want to! Stupid cute rainbow horse is so tempting!! haha I will admit I did buy a starter bundle on clearance. $5 for a $35 bundle or something.

Anyway, the game is really fun ^_^

4. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

I have played like 1 game so far, its intruiging so maybe I will try it some more.

I do like the fact that there are no items or money in the game so its all about xp.

5. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I played it on an off. It's a fun casual version of LoL/Dota which is nice if you want a laid back experience. But I tend not to stay on there long as I much prefer League to HotS.

6. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Def more laid back fo sho. I can't handle all of the items in LoL. My memory is too terrible :p

7. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Once you know what item does what etc then it's easy and you don't have to remember anything :p

But I really like how HotS gets around their own way of levelling a Hero in their games, buy letting us pick the skills, or procs/actives etc etc. Feels much more involved in picking what we need exactly in a situation or a game if you can predict ahead to late game. LoL is more build around the whole team tho, or Carry - HotS is more utility based around the idea of customising a personal playstyle to meet the games need.

8. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Isn't there a considerable amount of items though? It's probably because I didn't play LoL long, it just seemed like there were so many O_O

But yea, that's exactly what I love about HotS! I mean, team comp is absolutely something that is important. You can throw the entire game before you even start with a bad comp (obviously some heroes take others down easily and vice versa). But on top of team comp, one of the other most important factors to winning (and one of the reasons I love the game so much) is playing your hero how it's *needed* in that particular scenario. For example, sometimes you may be playing a character that can take on a health restore talent or something that damages. Well, if your team is lacking a healer, you obviously want to go with the self-healing talent. Or another example is that you may have a lot of casters on the opposing team, so you'd want to choose some type of stun or silence talent versus a melee talent.

It's funny because the more I play, the more I realize just how much friggin' strategy is needed. When I first started, it seemed like a simple and easy moba. Like, what? You just pick a char and take down their core, right? Shit, I've been playing since beta and am *still* find figure out strategical things that can be done.

Also, you know what sucks? Having EU and NA versions of everything :( So many awesome friends from the EU servers I'd love to play with, dammit. My husband and I have gotten really good.... only, our friends suck and we *really* want to get together a regular 5-person team.

9. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

To simply put it: each Champ as a select few items that's optimal for them.

There is a lot of Items yes, but not all are optimal or ever used by every Champ - like for e.g. not all AD items can be used fully by every AD Champ... so in a way each Champ has their own pool of items they are optimal with, and can chose as an alternate. So really you never have to look for anything more than 7-8 items certain Champs can use - because out of them you only really ever us 3-4 at best :D

10. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I think you have just scared me more :X

Out of curiosity, I just took a glance at the item list.... Dude. Holy.Friggin.Crap. Mind blown. There are 208 items.... and 123 champions. Like, WOW O_O

That makes it even harder for me to comprehend the game. I've always been under the impression that to be good at a game like that, you'd have to know the ins-and-outs of not only every single character and their abilities/talents *and* what to spec for in certain situations, but also every single item. And there is just no way I could possibly ever memorize 208 items and 123 champions :( I've been playing HotS since beta and have a hard time memorizing everything with no items and the few HotS heroes! LOL!

11. CouchPals

CouchPals
    Expand Collapse

I have a hard time getting into it. I'd rather play Blizzard's Overwatch :D

12. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Closed beta hasn't even started yet (starts Oct 27th). How do you know? o_O

13. CouchPals

CouchPals
    Expand Collapse

I mean, it's common knowledge that they're working on it. I wasn't implying that I'm playing it now but as for Blizzards games it's the next game they're making that I'm looking forward to compared to Heroes of the Storm :D

14. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Ohhhh, I thought you were saying that you can't get into HotS because you'd rather be playing OW, like you'd already had the opportunity to, and have been playing for awhile now or something. I was going to say.... I think you may be playing the wrong game xD

15. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

So I finally tried it for the first time today, made it past the tutorial and plan on doing a few A.I. matches before getting dominated by fellow humans later today or tomorrow if I have some time. Who do you guys recommend I start with? I've played MOBA games before but never got into them so I'm pretty much a noob at the genre. Also, I have to say that the tutorial was actually a lot more interesting than I was expecting in contrast to what I remember from LoL, HoN, and DOTA.

16. CouchPals

CouchPals
    Expand Collapse

Uhhh Mauradin (The dwarf fighter guy) seems pretty simple to use!

17. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yay!!! :)

I don't know if you noticed, but there are actually levels of difficulty marked on each hero in the selection screen. I think they range from easy to very hard? So that might be a good start. However, that being said... having played every character, I find the difficulty levels kind of misleading on some of the characters :/

Do you have any preference when it comes to support/warrior/assassin? I recommend Raynor (ranged assassin). I think he's fairly easy to use for beginners, but also at the same time good for veteran players because you can a lot of damage with him if you really know how to play him. Jaina (also ranged assassin) is very similar- easy to use for beginner, also awesome for veteran, but squishy.

There is so much to learn about heroes from overall strategy, to strategy per map, to team comp, etc. I'm surprised by how much I still learn on a daily basis haha

I pretty much play every night and on the weekends. I don't think we're bnet friends? If you ever want to play sometime, send me a request! :)

18. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I'm going to try that dwarf and Raynor.

Thanks for the suggestions. @Mizel is your Bnet username the same as your Steam? Also, I should really add a field for that in our profile system as Battle.net is not going down in popularity anytime soon...

19. Mrcooldude10

Mrcooldude10
    Expand Collapse

I knew Heroes of the Storm sounded familiar!

[​IMG]

I absolutely love it when companies acknowledge old forgotten series. :)
    Might try this out now that I remember these guys are in it.

Edit: Them and Murky.

#19 Mrcooldude10, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  20. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Nope, it's my email address :)

Lost Vikings are one of the few heroes that are not in free hero weekly rotation. They are supposed to be a pretty crappy hero, and really difficult to play, but man I really want to try them!! Oh well, maybe someday I'll waste the gold on them just for fun :p