Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Fave Genre

Discussion in 'Other Entertainment' started by It Made Me, Sep 6, 2007.

?

Fave Genre? (Can vote more than once)

1. Heavy Metal

85.7%
  2. Hip Hop

14.3%
  3. Pop Rock

28.6%
  4. Techno

42.9%
  5. Alternative

14.3%
  6. Post Hardcore

28.6%
  7. Industrial

14.3%
  8. Trance

14.3%
  9. Glam

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Religious, Ceremonial, Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. It Made Me

It Made Me
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Mine would have to be Pop Rock, Techno & Heavy Metal.

2. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I don't really have a favorite, it all depends what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes I'll listen to some metal, other times just some alternative stuff.

While there might be days I'll listen to a bit of rap, mainly old school stuff. And occasionally some techno mainly songs from Benny Benassi, Felix Da Housecat, and a bit of Tiesto, along with some other artists which I can't remember.

3. It Made Me

It Made Me
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I only listened to rap when it went through the like beginning of Eminem and Outkast, etc. I loved those bands, especially Eminem's old music.

4. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Yep, Hey Ya from Outkast and Lose Yourself from Eminem are great songs IMO.

The Real Slim Shady is another good song from Eminem, the beat was awesome.

5. Mohdgame

Mohdgame
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Man, i hate those songs you are mentioning like hell. I hate rap because all the songs are going like this "yo killed my momma" and all that "Gangsta" crap. Its filled with words but not enough music for me, its music is so repetive you get the same beats for the whole songs, it doesen't shake my feelings.

I like mostly heavy metal and fantasy metal perhaps some rock. Like Rhapsody of Fire, Cradle of filth, KoRn, Dragonforce, Iron maiden. These are the song that gives you the real since if music.

The reason i hate rappers because:
    * They're stupid as hell.
    * The never brush their teeth.
    * They're ALL Preverts.
    * They're music is shit. Its not even music? Where is the drums? Guitar? Flute? Something? With a simple damn MIDI program i can create a rap music and put some black guy wearing a hood, surrounded by dancers and yelling "Yo momma".
    * They swear too much.
    * They're pretty racist.
    * They encourage the use of drugs/ Rape/ Murder.

Woo! I wrote pretty much. I just love real music.

6. SnakeTheFox

SnakeTheFox
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'll agree, rap sucks.

BTW I didn't know I could vote for multiple items.. craptastic!

7. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Well I don't see anything offensive in either Hey Ya or Lose Yourself. But yes, the majority of rap songs fit your criteria which is why modern raps sucks as it's almost all like that. Old school stuff too, but not as much. Slick Rick had some stupid songs, but he also had some good ones which made a point.

For example: Hey Young World, Children's Story

Those songs don't encourage violence or drugs. Nas also had a song that spoke against bad things called "I Can."

And there's even some trying to take religious approaches, for example Kanye West, in his song "Jesus Walks."

However, that's just a small portion of rap so I do see your point, but we have to look at the good stuff as well. Just like in rock, there are some bands/songs that fit the criteria you mentioned before. It's just as bad as rap.

8. Wizard

Wizard
    Expand Collapse

I like all kinds of music just not hip hop or rap crap!

9. SnakeTheFox

SnakeTheFox
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yeah, when I say rap I'm really refering to what most people accociate with it (Gang violence, Bling). So really I'm talking about hardcore rap/gangster rap. Normal smooth rap I have no trouble listening to, but I still prefer music played with instraments or techno/house/trance/pop (Not American).

10. It Made Me

It Made Me
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

In the poll it said up top ""Poll: Fave Genre? (Can vote more than once)""

Yeah Rap is pretty much all about Sex, Drugs, Cash and Crime... but its a tad hypocritical, you only notice this because Rap & Hip Hop are huge and always on Tv and the Radio, if you think about Death Metal, its just about evil crap, always usually, Death, Anarchy, Anti-Christ, all these things usually fall into Death Metal and sometimes even some Heavy Metal, think about it. Same goes for stuff like what people call "Emo" music or Pop Rock/Whatever other genres fall into this so called "Emo" genre, they're mostly about sorrow and love (usually losing, or fighting for it) so yeah, maybe raps a bit misunderstood, but it still sucks XD.

11. SnakeTheFox

SnakeTheFox
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

My attention span isn't that high.

12. rathalos

rathalos
    Expand Collapse

you should listen to some Symhony X you would like it

im also a metal type of person i just don't like anything else [because they all sell out themselves] all you here in rap is voice, no guitar or people with any talent, just a guy with a mike screeming into it about "bitches and hoes". metal if you think about it it uses modern instruments [electric guitars, amps and sutch] with the beat or playstile of classical music

13. It Made Me

It Made Me
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Heavy Metal is in the lead, god bless.

14. Mohdgame

Mohdgame
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

wow, we're pretty the same. I love metal and I don't like other type of music but i don't mind hear them. But I do really hate rap and i also hate to hear it. My ears bleed when I am in someone's car and he's playing some gangsta rap with the same beats over and over @_@. Seriously, all I am listening to some guy singing with a weird american-african accent. His voice even sucks.

Well, yeah I'd rather to listen songs about death and hell and heaven and warriors of god and stuff rather than drugs, sex, weed, asses. They're pretty shallow, they think they're cool because they use drugs. Since when using drugs makes you cooler?
    Wierd point here, so I am not the only one who noticed it? American music focuses on Lyrics and singing while European focuses on instruments and on music itself. I prefer to european bands, though they tend to go lil'gothic which i hate.

15. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

American music is filled with sell outs now, as well as celebrities/artists crying out for attention.

Death metal has recently started to get more popular, but it will eventually die out as well. I have a feeling a new genre will come out and all the old ones will be considered dead.

What that genre will be..I have no clue. Perhaps some sort of trance/techno mixed with metal, and even a bit of rap.

There were some attempts to make a rap/rock type of genre, mainly Limp Bizkit and Cypress Hill. But it didn't go too well. However, they did manage to make some good songs.

I wonder what people will be listening to by the year 2020.

16. It Made Me

It Made Me
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I hope a new genre comes out (people seem to think Emo is new, ffs get over it)

Death metal/Metal of any kind and Screamo will always be my favourite, and have been for nearly 6 years. (Ever since I had the brain power to make these kinds of decissions on my own, and not follow my peers)

17. SnakeTheFox

SnakeTheFox
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

One thing: I don't see J-Pop up there as a choice. I'm disappointed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dv-mE7Q6VY[/youtube]

18. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

My opinion... RAP SUCKS ASS!!!! lmao

I like Heavy metal "music", just not the majority of singing in them it's too....... OK I can't think of the right word.. um.... Rrrrroooooooaaarrrrrhhhhish. If you get my meaning. I like songs with lyrics sure, but first they need to be understandable. Plus they need to have good music behind 'em as well. Rap is just lyrics, but them in themselves isn't real lyrics, pretty much just talking, with a few boops and bops in the background.

Bands I'm liking at the moment are dragonforce, breaking benjamin, Papa Roach, Disturbed, a small amount of Killswitch Engaged.

I'm actually addicted to one song at the moment, Prayer of the Refugee by Rise Against.

19. SnakeTheFox

SnakeTheFox
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I've recently discovered I can't stand a lot of metal.

It just loses its feel once you get past that "power-trip" level of adolescence.

Something about it just turns me off the same way a lot of rap does: it's always the same message.

"LOOK AT ME, RAWR I'M GUNNA SUMMON SOME DEMONS 'N SHIT! RAWR!"

or

"ARRGGHHH I HATE YOU, ARGHHHH"

or maybe

"lee diddle dee do doo.........rrrrraaaaaAAAARRGHHHH!"

Death Metal/Thrash Metal/Some Folk-Metal (IE Anything American), and all that honestly don't have any more lyrical complexity (or less) than most rap I I've heard. It's rather embarrassing.

It just turns me off. I still like some kinds of Metal(Disturbed, early TOOL album, ext), but a lot of the stuff is just juvenile, "LEMME SEE HOW HARD I CAN SCREAM INTO THE MIC BEFORE MY THROAT RIPS, RAWWWRR!" crap. Also, talking about sword fights, holy warriors, and all that other folk-metal crap is just as juvenile, or more, than talking about drugs, sex, or money.

I'm more into things like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Modest Mouse, Janes Addiction, Muse, Audioslave (there older stuff), Gorillaz, ext.

And of course, because I'm a youtube whore:

Muse
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2DpgV8fPw[/youtube]

Audioslave
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewre1ESqHUU[/youtube]
    (Only one I could find, original was embedding-locked)

Modest Mouse
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erc40wCxRZo[/youtube]

Janes Addiction
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COef3k-N65Q[/youtube]

And of course, the best band on this planet (tied with Tool), The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn28aGYytxs[/youtube]

Also, Disturbed is one of the only screaming metal bands I can stand. Probably because I've been listening to them since I was 10 or so.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ5Y9LOmx38[/youtube]

Although I'll agree with what Gamer said awhile ago, the American music industry as a whole is turning into this forced, scheduled, empty crap (Aside from these bands and others).

Ukraine has some freaky stuff:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_rNEPIgc8[/youtube]

Also, a little known band called Last Days of Jesus (anything-BUT pro-religious music)is a pretty cool metal-ish band from Sweden, but being they're little known, I couldn't find any of there decent songs on Youtube.

Longest

Ever.

20. oneillz8o8

oneillz8o8
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

What's Glam/

Anyway, my favorites are Hip Hop, Rap, Techno, and Trance :D