Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Classical FPS vs. Today's FPS

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nexus One, Jan 30, 2012.

?

Classical FPS or Today's FPS?

1. Classical FPS (Quake, Unreal Tournament, Doom)

33.3%
  2. Today's FPS (MW3, BF3, Team Fortress 2)

66.7%
  1. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Remember they time that you are spending your time in the basement while playing Quake 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat and Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Well, I remember them like it's yesterday.

And then Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Halo arrived, The Bigshots of the Industry Today.

Main Differences of Classic FPS to Today's FPS: (From my Point of View)
    * Classical FPS are more fast-paced than today's FPS.
    * Classical FPS are really Guild Contest-friendly.
    * Some of Today's FPS perfected the Formula of what Old FPS'es did.
    * Today's FPS has more fanbases than old fps's
    * Classical FPS are MODDER FRIENDLY, Today is more protective. (Good Thing Valve has trust on the Community.)
    and
    * Classical FPS are more fun than Today's FPS, Current FPS'es is just too serious or mixed personalities.

So What's Your Vote?

2. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I still considered UT2k4 one of the best FPS's I've ever played. This is a toughy.... I'd prob. say modern because it's somewhat perfect the old formula, especially with CoD4... which btw is still fucking great.

3. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

I honestly can't say I played any of those classic FPS games that you've listed to any great extent. I may have fiddled with them here and there when the games were already getting old. My parents were very rating restrictive. By the time I was old enough to play most shooters, I was in the generation of Halo, etc. And I don't mind that. I find the games to be very fulfilling.

4. ZackKoutaRoxas

ZackKoutaRoxas
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Ahh Quake,, DooM,, Unreal Tournament,,, Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny...
    I still play those games once in a while,,, multiple times! Those are the games I can just truly ENJOY :p I remember most of their soundtracks, too XD

5. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Im with Brit on UT2K4 and COD4, but I have to say old school since thats where Tribes fits the best.

6. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

UT2k4 Is the BEAST! But the only Modern FPS I kinda respect is MW, Damn, That game really perfected on what is left in Multiplayer Online Games.

I still Digg the Classics. Remembering the Days that I spend my time in the basement, and my ears getting raped by those washing machines. Is a fun experience, Hell. I got a 25 kill streak (without nuke okay?) once on RTCW. I love classics. lol.

7. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

In terms of single player, I found myself more captivated by the SP in the classics versus modern games. I rarely get into the single player of any shooter nowadays, just play them for the multiplayer, especially the CoD series.

Classic CoD is a different story though (plan on reinstalling CoD 2 one of these days actually).

8. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

DO people consider Halo 1 a classical or modern fps? I can see it would be considered modern by having only 2 weapons and regenerating health, but there is also no iron sight aiming on most weapons and there is still a health bar. A game that stands in both worlds but is part of none? *mysterious music*

9. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I think, It started the trend of Online FPS, What I mean of that is Halo CE was the start of the modern fps stage that we know now.

Halo beats CoD in many ways, but the setting is no close to itself vice versa. Halo's SP and MP are perfect. That's what I gotta say to the Halo series.

10. 4realg4mer

4realg4mer
    Expand Collapse

I used to love playing through the classic COD campaigns multiple times when I was a kid, especially The Big Red One. I've played that one so many times that I can still remember each level like the back of my hand.

11. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I remember the times that there is no Soap or Captain Price to ruin the Franchise. Lol.

12. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

Actually, I really enjoyed the campaign of the Modern Warfare branch of the CoD games. Although I haven't played the campaign for the latest. CoD4's campaign was great.

13. SKOZZOKONZ

SKOZZOKONZ
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

McMillan was the best character as far as I am concerned. That accent.

14. Nexus One

Nexus One
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

McMillan was the best. He made Price the killing machine that he is.

CoD pushed boundaries because of its Storyline and Multiplayer. But Battlefield is Better IMO.