Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Bus/train Station question for EU members

Discussion in 'Gamer Lounge' started by GaMeR, May 15, 2016.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Quick note: first time I travel to EU so probably making n00b observations.

As mentioned in another thread, I am traveling in Europe at the moment and so far, it's been great. However, I've noticed that while food at bus/train stations is a bit more expensive than at the supermarket (which is normal everywhere), it's not marked up as much as in America (at least in the ones I've been to across the country).

Is this common or is it because I haven't visited really expensive cities so far?

Another interesting difference is that you have to pay to use the bathroom at certain stations which is not really a common practice in America. There are also no water drinking fountains, again, common in good ole USA.

2. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

Im glad you're having a Great time. Cant really say anything about The stores. But I think its funny with The toilets though where old ladies Guards them.

3. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Yeah and when they're not guarded, they seem to use an honor system where there's a note and a bin for the cash.

Speaking of that, I also find it strange how you can board a train in Germany without being forced to pay first, technically you're supposed to have paid for the ticket before boarding but it's not automatically enforced how it is in New York or most other major cities that I've been to where you can't get to the train platform without a valid ticket.

4. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

It's mostly the same here, on non high speed trains they don't check the tickets until the train has already left the station(which I find quite funny, like what do they do if someone lacks a ticket). (I don't remember how they check the tickets on high speed trains though)

5. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I also learned that in Paris' Metro, they also check tickets in-person periodically even though they have a ticket validation machine to enter.