Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by GaMeR, Feb 4, 2011.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

So far there's only a teaser trailer out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOR1OrDyQ9M

According to the official blog, the following features are confirmed for now:

Single player/Co-op campaign
    Multiplayer
    Frostbite 2 Engine
    Jets
    64 Players (PC)
    Fall 2011 release for 360, PS3, & PC

This vs. MW3 is going to be an interesting battle.

2. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

JIZZ.. IN.. MY.. PANTS!! 0_o

3. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I'm looking forward to the co-op as it was pretty fun in WaW although I will say that I was a lot more fond of the Modern Warfare 2 approach with the Spec Op missions as I think that has much better replayability in the long-run.

4. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I wonder if they're gonna split the team, like with MoH and so one studio works on the single-player while the other on the online MP. I hope though with the inclusion of a SP that they still keep the MP intact. New, updated feature are obviously welcomed but I'm contemplating whether to get this for the console instead of the PC. I have the beta access from the PS3 LE copy of MoH so I'll at least try the MP. Nonetheless I can't wait.

As for Modern Warfare 3; I'm just excited for a Russian invasion and a payback by the Brits, Soap and Price! I loved the fact that FINALLY, a mainstream FPS game where America got the shit kicked in for once... and the Airport level as well (thought for the progression of the story and plot it needed to be there). Though I'm more excited for BF3 seeing as MW3'll just pretty much be the same game with a new story, I'm still anticipating both.

*EDIT: Scratch that, it's just DICE in the dev. seat. Oh well, hopefully they equally spend time on both parts then, though I do hope they don't fuck up the MP.

5. Ye New Noob

Ye New Noob
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Hopefully the new weapons and map are kick ass. Can't wait to kill have a war on US soil also. I'd love to see whats happening in Texas already, the people their are probably beasting on their 2nd Admendment right now lol. Can't wait to see the graphics also. Hopefully they cleaned up a little and edited the Red Dot Sight, it looked weird and pretty fake. All of them with circular, along with a inner green light with a dim red light. Hopefully they fix it up and make it look clearer.

@GaMeR - When you say Jets, is it going to be like the Helicopters, where you just jump in and take off or something else?

And Im asking the same question as BritPatriot, if I should get it for my Xbox 360, or my computer..

6. ownem

ownem
    Expand Collapse

hope this is going to be good, maybe it will even have a decent single player mode who knows

7. noduhelmo

noduhelmo
    Expand Collapse

Highlights from the recent issue of Game Informer:

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
    -Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
    -Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
    -Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
    -Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
    -Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
    -AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
    -No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
    -Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
    -Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
    -Plan on better, more immediate post release content
    -More unlocks than BFBC2
    -Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
    -4 classes
    -Will talk about squads "later"
    -Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
    -Will have co-op
    -There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
    -BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
    -They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
    -Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
    "Fuck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
    -There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
    -Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
    -More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
    -PC version is lead version
    -Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
    -No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
    -Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

8. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

9. noduhelmo

noduhelmo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I'm a huge fan of BF, but it's sad that there'll only be 24 players for consoles. Jets likely won't make it either.

10. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I don't know, you gotta think about the console demographic here. I think 24 players is sufficient enough for consoles; you don't want too much of a lag-fest with them as it's more likely that an avid PC gamer would have a faster Internet connection than a console only gamer, obviously that's just a speculation but to some degree it's just. I mean, even with 24 players, the first Bad Company had loads of lag at the start. I just hope they make the maps orientated for the 24 player versions. Also, who knows about the Jets, though I'm hardly gonna lose sleep over them not being there. I think console gamer should just be happy that they're actually getting BF3 in the first place.... and knowing DICE, it's not going to be a gimped version either. I'm sure they'll make it work on both platforms.

Some of my greatest times in this current gen. on FPS were on the 24 players ones (BC, BFBC2, MoH), and the maps were made for them. Don't know how those games fared on the PC but from what I've heard the majority seems to love it.... and still plays. So technically, those console gamers going round complaining about not having 64 players, can't complain. The majority have no idea of how clusterfuck 64 players can be, and also those same people complain at the 16v16 games that lag saying that's too much =/

I just hope DICE treats the PC version like a PC version and the console like a console, and not design it with one system in mind and hoping it works on all. And I hope the jets are included on the PS3/360. If my laptop can handle it I'll get it for that, if not it's the PS3 for me. That and the fact I have the beta access on the PS3 so I'm still undecided.

11. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Battlefield 3 Premiere Gameplay Teaser - Kurdistan Firefight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2tae2PmmU&fmt=18

12. Ye New Noob

Ye New Noob
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW Man was that awesome, graphics are sexy, I saw a little prone in there, the animations, everything about this game just got better and will do alot better then CoD. Now to find a new pair of pants and underwear.....

13. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'm guessing it's pre-rendered (like in those screenshots in those scans). But they did detail about working on lighting and shading to be more detailed than BFBC2. I don't know, that was hardly a trailer let alone a gameplay one, more like a teaser. I'll reserve my full judgement on the game's graphics until I see some real gameplay footage.

14. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Well, you were right. It's their actual graphics (view in HD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvj7GMhZxC8&fmt=18

15. Aryon

Aryon
    Expand Collapse
    Heroic

Holy hell.. First thing I notice is how amazing the shadows are. I don't know how, but they made SHADOWS amazing..

16. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

http://www.operationsports.com/Ian_Cummings_EA/blog/769-can-people-please-stop-asking-for-a-new-engine/

http://www.develop-online.net/news/35428/Medal-of-Honor-armed-with-FIFA-animation-tech

If it's still pre-rendered then at lest the animations are real. Also, interesting read; http://kotaku.com/#!5774127/battlefield-3-resumes-hostilities-with-call-of-duty

17. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

So far so good but if they want to take down the CoD behemoth they'll have to really shine in the multiplayer. Going to be a tough battle with Homefront on its way as well along with Socom 4 and we can't forget about KZ3 either which has gotten great reception so far.

18. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Well from what I've heard about K3, I reckon DICE can scratch them off their competition list (that and the fact that it's PS3 ex. game). What I'm hearing alot, especially in the other forums is that overall the game's 'meh'... their words, not mine seeing as I've yet to play it but I'm more inclined to believe them than the media. As for SOCOM 4, again PS3 ex., however that game has strong followers but I reckon it'll only be tough for the gamers to decide which to play. I thought SOCOM 3 (or w/e on the PS3) was a huge disappointment, so I think they lost a few fans there.

DICE is going to have competition with Homefront, as well as Crysis 2 I reckon. However, BF has one of the biggest 'core followers out there, even many playing CoD are from BF originally (like myself). With the recent XP Boosting and hacks in Black Ops, I don't see why the majority will not move to BF3, especially on the PC side and even the console. Even if MW3 is being developed by Sledgehammer and Raven instead of IW, they still won't change much. BF3 has lot more to offer than the next CoD installment, and because of that I think DICE won't have any problems beating the competition.... unless you're a Halo fanboy and couldn't care less :p

19. Brit89

Brit89
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=5SUWOUT7 - Leaked footage, so watch it now before get's removed!

20. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher
    Expand Collapse

I have always been a fan of Battlefield, and the new trailer looks awesome. It will be for sure a day one purchase for me. I bought BF:BC 2 on all 3 systems, PC, PS3, and 360.