Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

Anime Without Fan Service

Discussion in 'Other Entertainment' started by GaMeR, Feb 23, 2016.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

So @Mizel was discussing this in /random and it got me thinking that it would be useful to make a thread as this issue puts off some people from anime in general. Feel free to reply and suggest more so I can keep the list up-to-date.

Also, it's possible that some of the "no fan service" shows may have occasionally featured some content in some episodes but they will remain categorized as such provided that the series itself does not consistently promote it.

If you disagree with any of the categorizations, feel free to point out why it's miscategorized as well as I'm not as keen on anime as I am on gaming :p

Strictly no fan service:
    Mushishi
    Dragon Ball
    Gundam
    Parasyte (very violent though)
    Speed Racer
    Area 88
    Zipang
    Zoids
    Pokemon
    Yu-Gi-Oh
    Digimon
    Inuyasha
    Tenchi Muyo!
    Sailor Moon

Limited fan service:
    Desert Punk (there are busty chicks but it is not the focus, it is mainly thrown in there to poke fun at Desert Punk's desire)
    Death Note (one character in particular is often sexualized but it is not the main focus)

#1 GaMeR, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. Xone_Gamer

Xone_Gamer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Most of the Gundam series have no fanservice, if any. (In SEED there was on controversial scene of implied sex between two characters so you see some side boobs and pants..that's about it)

3. Paecmaker

Paecmaker
    Expand Collapse

I mentioned them in the other thread but Area 88 and Zipang got no fanservice.

4. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Just saw this thread, this is awesome! I'll have to check some of these out. Maybe I'll start with Gundam stuff since I've heard a lot about it. I'll have to check back in with an update :p

5. Xone_Gamer

Xone_Gamer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Theres an offiical timeline and then the spin of timelines Xd just so you know

Gundams canon timeline is the UC one. So dont jump in on a random series set in that line :p

6. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

Updated list, added some other ones that I remembered, mainly Toonami-esque nostalgia...

Thanks for the contributions so far.

7. Xone_Gamer

Xone_Gamer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

i like how SEED is in there :p Even though its part of the Gundam series. HAh!

I'd say maybe Black Lagoon?

8. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Haha Good to know! I probably would have just jumped in at some random spot :p

9. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

@Xone_Gamer good catch...I'm not really familiar with that Gundam storyline, was more of a Wing guy.

As for Black Lagoon, doesn't the main character kind of represent fan service? Not really familiar with the series though so perhaps the rest is not as bad.

10. Xone_Gamer

Xone_Gamer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I dunno I havent sen much into it but i dont realy see fanservice unless its blatant,like Highschool of teh Dead or DxD

11. Mizel

Mizel
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Watched A Letter to Momo last night and absolutely loved it. Movie, not a TV show, but it was fan-freakin'-tastic. I was surprised I enjoyed it so much.