Welcome to our gaming community!

Become part of our friendly community and meet gamers/geeks from across the globe.

JOIN

$9 Computer?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by GaMeR, Mar 12, 2016.

1. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

So years ago I remember there being a lot of hype about $100 laptops which would be great for developing countries and if I recall correctly, I think those projects were realized. However, over time cheap tablets seemed to have taken over and in the more recent years the tiny computer movement has taken off with devices like the Raspberry Pi.

I was talking to a friend recently and he told me about Chip, a $9 computer. At first I thought I misheard him but he reassured me that it was correct so I had to look it up:

http://getchip.com

It is important to note that $9 only gets you the barebones unit, you'd probably want to spend a bit more to get some of the addons but still a promising deal. They have a portable version as well.

It's pretty cool how far we're progressing.

I've yet to tinker with any of those tiny PCs myself but I think I might get this one.

2. DatDude

DatDude
    Expand Collapse

That sounds really cool. Also do you know if the banana thing is a joke or not as I did see some computer chip looking device once hooked up to one and I think it was able to get power from it or something like that.

3. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

I'm pretty sure it's a joke, I think what you're talking about is a MakeyMakey. I actually have one and it's pretty cool, probably will review it in the future as although it's been out for a while, some people have yet to hear about it still.

The setup you saw was probably the unit hooked up to a banana so that it could be used as a button.

4. iK1NG

iK1NG
    Expand Collapse

This is fascinating, although your general consumer likely won't warm up to it terribly easy, CHIP is pioneering micro technology.

I'm actually quite in love with the idea!

5. GaMeR

GaMeR
    Expand Collapse
    Leader
    Staff Member Leader

It looks like they updated their website since I last made this thread and listed a bunch of 8-bit games that will be playable, Pocket Chip looks very tempting now.